Roatan or Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why AKR? I've always much preferred the West End of the island.

A lot of advice (here or anywhere) is not dependent upon actual breadth of personal experience.

I thought of AKR first also. The gear storage area is about 20-30' from the boats.

Real "valet" diving on Roatan is called Barefoot Cay/Divers. I dropped my gear near the dock, they loaded it, set up everything and wouldn't even let me change a tank. Since there's no shore dive there they'll manage it for you all week as part of their service. And they'll likely run over to CCV once to dive the Prince Albert - we did. Mary's Place is also 5mins. off their dock by boat. Roatan Diving | Outdoor Activities in Honduras | Barefoot Cay

Divi Flamingo on Bonaire has lockers on the dive dock. At Habitat they're about 30' away. Buddy Dive is similar. As mentioned, no one seemed in a rush to help with loading gear though. Maybe they do at Harbour Village, it's the most upscale place there. And has arguably the nicest beach - something you don't find too much of there. Divi is also currently undergoing a major renovation - if they're working on island time, that may not be done when you go.

Doc would know but isn't October the rainiest month on Roatan? On the flipside, if they still do the Bonaire Regatta, that's around the first week of October also.

Why AKR? I've always much preferred the West End of the island.
Well-----I've always preferred AKR, had a house(for 14 years) about a mile and a half east of it----plus, got to do all my diving free there(when our son worked in the photoshop for almost 2 years).......:).....That's my reasons, let me hear yours..................Now, with me saying this, my 1st ~300 dives off Roatan were around West End(a few were on the north side & a few on the south side but mostly with Ray @ Sueno del Mar back when he had the dive shop @ Sea Grape--ever heard of them??--circa 1994............, then he moved on & started SdM----)

Thanks ALL for the info! I am leaning towards CCV I have heard that Oct is rainny season as well but where in the Caribbean is not raining in Oct?

In terms of October weather, it might be wetter in Roatan over Bonaire. Both choices put you outside where Huricanes usually tread, but tropical storms can visit either with some predictability. Nov-Dec is the rainiest on Roatan.

Curiously, the management of Buddy visited Coco View many years back and were quite impressed with the CCV dive op infrastructure, asking permission to use some of the ideas back home.

diver 85: I've got a few hundred dives over the past decade on all corners of the island, and it just seems like the West End side is more amenable to the style of dives I like to do and critters/life I want to see. Texas is by far my favorite dive site, which is too far out from AKR. I also much prefer the atmosphere of West End over AKR. West End Divers has the perfect blend of service and treating me like an adult, and the location is great (if not staying at an AI). If staying at an AI, CCV has unparalleled shore diving and is close enough to West End to take a water taxi over there for exploring what I think is the coolest part of the island.

I've been to CCV a couple of times and went to Buddy Dive in October of this year. In my book there is no comparison between these 2 places for ease of diving. At CCV you put your gear in the dive locker and they will have it set it up on the boat waiting for you whenever you want to boat dive. The second boat dive is always a drop off at one of the two wall dives at CCV. Shore diving is a little bit of work with a short walk but a very easy entrance. If you do the drop off second dive from the boat, theoretically you wouldn't ever have to do a shore entry in order to see those dives.

At Buddy Dive you remove all your gear from the locker and carry it out to the boat for boat dives. You get only 1 boat dive and then head back in. If you have signed up for the same boat for the next dive you are allowed to keep your gear on the boat. Shore diving is a much greater task here than at CCV. Load your gear into your truck, drive to site, and try to enter the water without getting your butt kicked or knocked down. Some sites have easy entry but some do not.

For those who want easy access and a somewhat valet type service, CCV wins hands down over BD. We plan on going back to CCV this year. Don't think we'll do Bonaire (BD) again.

Edited:
to add that I forgot to mention that Buddy Dive does have an excellent shore dive at their own location. Buddy Dive's wall was one of my favorites so you could do most shore diving from there. But still boat dives from CCV far outweigh ease of boat dives at BD.

Last edited:
Hi, we are looking at late October for a Caribbean vacation and thinking of CCV but we are concerned about the weather. I realize that the weather is always a variable - no matter where you go - and that time of year can be very rainy across the entire Caribbean, but I have seen some references to October as the "Rainy Season" in Honduras and that is a little scary. I don't mind some rain as long as it doesn't keep you from diving.

What are your experiences, opinions about a trip to CCV in late October?

I agree West End is my favourite part of the island to dive, eat and hang out. But there are no water taxies from CCV to West End. It is a 30+ minute cab ride. Probably some confusion with the all inclusive resorts in West Bay which are a short water taxi to West End.

This year October was on and off weather wise. There were some good weeks and some rainy weeks. US Thanksgiving was the worst weather wise. The rain and wind were so strong it was like someone standing with a hose pointed at your door.

....I don't mind some rain as long as it doesn't keep you from diving.

What are your experiences, opinions about a trip to CCV in late October?

This oft asked question has an answer that causes some derision. (Please refer to my Post #11 above)

CCV is located on the Southern shore with only a very few other dive resorts, all AI. The reason? Land on the South side is stupid expensive. Why is land on the South side so desirable?

Many reasons: It has the only safe harborages, it is on the lee or shadow side of any storm action, the reef lies close-in just offshore, the prevailing daily winds keep the bugs blown down.

Caribbean storm tracks (the vast historical majority) run this pattern:

further annotated:

The Bay Islands: Does it suffer hurricanes? Anything can happen, but in general, no.
Does it get tropical storm rains? It can. As hurricanes track by to the Northern this is an effect.

When storms roll past, usually on their way to landfall in Belize, think about which side of the island gets wind and wave. The North and West... again- where the most of Roatan's dive operations do business.

Here's a local expert, sorry about the audio, but you can hear his point pretty well:

Unlike very few other posters here on :sblogo:, I have been diving all around the Bay Islands at all times of year. I have been diving with most every dive op, have seen most of the available rooms. Nowadays, other than looking at a new facility, I always stay and dive with CCV. I am quite biased, but this bias does not come from one single exposure or very limited breadth of experience. Been there, done that, have many years of t-shirts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom