Roatan Suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we have been twice...LOVED it! Media Luna is one of the finest resorts I have ever been to.

The one thing I will tell you is that the location is fairly isolated on the southeastern part of the island of Roatan. For me, that is just perfect. I have been to Roatan numerous times before, so by this time I was not interested in anything but scuba diving and relaxing. In pursuit of those interests, I could not have asked for more.

But I do realize that others have different preferences. I would suggest that renting a car and driving yourself is not the best idea in Roatan, and taxi's all the way to and from Media Luna to the tourist areas would be expensive; however, Media Luna does offer a host of tours in addition to an onsite spa and activities.

Aqua Adventures is the on-site dive operator. They commonly offer 3 dives per day, 1 night dive per week and unlimited shore diving. I am very impressed by how hard the owners work to make sure the divers enjoy their scuba adventures. They have hired Derry, whom we have known for years since he used to be a divemaster at Fantasy Island. He is very talented at finding interesting critters for you to see...we call him the "Seahorse Whisper" :D In addition, the house reef, where you can do all the shore diving you'd like, is Half-Moon Bay. I could be happy just diving there...it's phenomenal!

I would recommend Media Luna without hesitation...it's paradise :cool2:

Reactions: Doc
"In addition, the house reef, where you can do all the shore diving you'd like, is Half-Moon Bay."

I am confused.
What does Media Luna have to do with Half-Moon Bay which is at West End on the other side of the island??

"In addition, the house reef, where you can do all the shore diving you'd like, is Half-Moon Bay."

I am confused.
What does Media Luna have to do with Half-Moon Bay which is at West End on the other side of the island??

Everything.

Nothing.

Honduras is not known for their originality, certainly in naming things.

In example: Fantasy Island or the Cruise Ship drinking boat and also the golf course by the name of Black Pearl.

IMG_3773.jpg

It could be surmised that US Patent and Copyright holds little sway in Honduras- there was a disco (that was a "gentleman's club" for about three days) that featured a sign with the "Little Mermaid" on it- for about 4 years- nary a Disney lawyer in sight.

Picture25-6.png

There are also two different "Sandy Bay" locales, similarly found as are the two Media Lunas.

The one oddity here is that the Media Luna Resort referred to on the South side was built on a physical spot known historically in the original English name "Half Moon Bay", but the resort chose the somewhat more lyrical Media Luna. You can argue the specifics all you might, but it is essentially "Media Luna Resort located on Half Moon Bay". The North/West version also had the standard English name form way back when.

I say this because of referencing the several maps of the Bay Islands that I have that run from the 1800's to present.

Final answer: There are two of them.

For the true collectors of absolute trivia, the South side "Sandy Bay" is located behind CCV & FIBR, as well as the Northern version (down East from AKR) is the major clustered nexus point for ex-pat's homes.

Yep, Two Half Moon Bays, two Mangrove Bights, two or three Pirates coves with spelling variances And even a BP Gas station with big green sign and NO relation to British Petroleum, and the Hilton Hotel has since closed, still only one Alligator nose I know of

Attachments

• Roatan Hilton.jpg
    Roatan Hilton.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 192
thanks for the clarification of Half-Moon bays (pleural) ..I was getting confused, but after researching the island for many hours, my first mate and I think we have figured out what we are looking for, now to get some responses from email inquiries on price quotes ..that will be in another thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom