Roatan zip line death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Bumblebee, when people say "don't knock it until you try it," we can at least say we did and it definitely isn't for everybody.

But you know, a leisurely and slow tour through the canopy, with time to really see something, would be kind of cool.

I have done it a number of times! Here is a video I shot on it:MySpace

There was one section that doesn't have a safety line where they rock or whip the line with your permission! At the time I thought it was taking a lot for granted in that one section?!!! It is the only place you don't clip off to a safety cable! Too bad, but Murphy's Law will always win in the end!

I will always request the safety line option!

We just did this canapy tour on a Carnival Cruise on March 10 with a group of friends. I had done one in Mexico a few years back and it seemed a lot easier (even though it was higher up than the one in Roatan) than this one, but I didn't notice anything that made me feel it was less safe. I did check out the cable connections and such when I was waiting and didn't really notice that they seemed in disrepair or faulty looking. Possibly this is just one of those "accidents" or there was some human error involved with the guides connecting her...I wasn't there so I can't say.

My condolences to the family of all those affected by this tragedy.

I was on the same Cruise that the lady was on when she died. It was on the Norwegian Spirit, we sailed out of New Orleans MAR 16th to Roatan, Honduras, Belize, Cozumel. I cannot say for certain which excursion she was on. We opted for the Zip line and cave tubing excursion in Belize so we could dive in Roatan, and Coz. I will say that we all felt very safe and the staff was very professional. At no time did I feel that what I was doing was unsafe, Ive been in the military for 14 years and am airborne and rapell master certified so I have experience in these matters. I cant address the Roatan Zip line incident but would recommend the one in Belize, they offered a great homemade lunch after the zip line and before the tubing.

Hope this helps some...

I've been looking through the various references to find a factual account of what happened, so far to no avail. If it's not denied that someone died, then something must have gone seriously wrong. The question is, what?

Here is a brief report from the April 2008 issue of Bay Islands Voice, a local publication that reports news, crimes, etc. and often is critical of island authorities. It's short but the most detailed independent report I've found about the fatality.

"Unfortunately the week didn't go by without incidents. On March 19, Barbara Wojtasek, 43, an American cruise ship visitor from Norwegian Spirit died when the metal line of the zip-line ride she was on broke. Wojtasek fell around 20 meters and was transported to the hospital where she died. The incident took place at the Gumbalimba Canopy Tour in West Bay. Preliminary investigation points that neither guide nor Wojtasek were attached to a second, security cable which is a standard practice during the activity. "The guide didn't follow proper procedure," said Marco Galindo, owner of the zip-line, who added that this is the first time a cable has snapped since the operation began service in 2003.
The incident follows another death related to the zip-line tourist activity. In January an employee of another zip-line fell to his death as he slipped out of his harness and fell. On Roatan and in Honduras, zip-line is a growing but unregulated tourism industry. Currently six zip-line tours operate on Roatan."

I have done this one and there is one cable that you didn't snap into the safety line because they would shake or bounce the cable if you wanted them to!

806_DSC00698.JPG

Here for video of zip line

I did the South Shore canopy tour this year (and note to adjuster-jd, we only paid $30 apiece for 3 of us, not the $75 that you reported).
I loved it!!! And although it is a tragedy that someone lost their life doing this, I hope they don't ban the activity. There are risks in things we do everyday, and there will always be accidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom