Roatan zip line death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not these sorts of accidents, combining a fundamental equipment failure with inadequate safety practices (not clipping to a second line). The main cable should be inspected more often than a mountain-region cable-car cable (because of the corrosive salty environment), and replaced at appropriate intervals. Not just when it breaks. If a cable such as this EVER breaks it signifies very poor maintenance policies.

If this accident had taken place in Britain (for example) the operation would have been closed down forthwith, for very sound reasons.

Reminds me of an incident some years back in Belgium, when at a fair in a country town a crane was set up for people to bungee-jump from. A friend of mine decided to have a go, and narrowly escaped death because the young kids despatching the jumpers at the top mis-understood his weight (which he gave in lb) and fitted him with a wrong rope. He escaped with a broken wrist purely because the overall safety margin had thankfully been set very high. After he was carted off to hospital the organisers called it a "regrettable accident" and were all for continuing operations. The police however said it was evidence that it was an unsafe operation and closed it down. Correct call.

I did the South Shore canopy tour this year (and note to adjuster-jd, we only paid $30 apiece for 3 of us, not the $75 that you reported).
I loved it!!! And although it is a tragedy that someone lost their life doing this, I hope they don't ban the activity. There are risks in things we do everyday, and there will always be accidents.

I think it was south shore I did last year - whichever one it was they picked us up at ILR - and we paid $35 to ILR. (I think they told us that they charge cruise ship passengers about $80 for the same one)
The one I did this year was the Pirates of the Caribbean - Extreme - which was right down the street from FIBR - and it was $70 -
I suspect the prices change on these places pretty much as they see fit - and there is probably some commissioning to the resort where they pick you up, etc. $30 or $35 for a zip line is a pretty good price.

Hi:
We will be doing the zip line while there, but have only found 2 zip line tours on line. Each quoted $75 per person. Where did you find them for $30? There will be 4 of us, so that will be quite a savings. Thank you so much,

When you pay aboard ship your paying for transportation and sometimes extras like a small meal or drinks as well or a stop at the shopping district:wink: so the 30 to 35 is an island price you have to add on to!

We will be doing the zip line while there, but have only found 2 zip line tours on line.

Try GOOGLE (Roatan Jungle Canopy Tours on Zip Lines - Bay Islands, Honduras)

Roatan has four zip line canopy tours: South Shore Canopy Tour and Gumbalimba Park, both at West Bay Beach, and two centrally-located near Fantasy Island and Palmetto Hill.

Palmetto Bay Hill: biggest on the island, with 20 platforms, including swing bridges and a climbing wall. Once you arrive at the tour, your guide will equip you with a harness and safety equipment and you will be guided through the jungle, from platform-to-platform. There are 20 rides from the top of the hill through the jungle, and these include zip lines, where you glide through the jungle attached to a safety cable and harness, swing bridge walks in the tops of the trees, and a small climbing wall. Guests will be able to able to have fun with this activity; children should be at least 1.3 meters (4 feet) tall.

Things to bring with you: Sneakers or sandals with back straps, sunscreen and insect repellent, shorts or trousers and don't forget your camera!! This is a moderate-level activity.

Tickets and transportation for the Palmetto Ridge Canopy Tour can be purchased through Tropicalrez.com.

West Bay Beach: Tour buses stop at the Canopy Tour entrance; if you're driving, you'll see the Park entrance on the right a little past, on the road to West Bay Beach. The canopy tour consists of 11 platforms with two short walks. After gearing up and listening to a brief explanation of safety features and techniques, adventurers take off from the briefing station to the first tree platform, about 60 feet high. The tour lasts about one hour.

NOTE to Cruise ship visitors: There seems to be some sort of arrangement whereby your gate charge may be the same rate for Gumbalimba as if you had booked through the cruise ship -- please check this out

Roatan Jungle Canopy

Reserve Your Tour Online with Roatan Shore Excursions a matrix of three

Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy - Roatan, Honduras

all four compared: Roatan Canopy Tour Comparisons

Jungle Canopy Palmetto
Pirates of the Caribbean Extreme
Pirates of the Caribbean Standard
South Shore Canopy

Number of Ziplines

Suspension Bridges
(Can be bypassed using Ziplines)

Climbing Wall
(Can be bypassed using Ladder)

Highest Zipline
45 feet
328 feet
145 feet
100 feet

Longest Zip Distance
495 feet
1837 feet (Longest in the Americas)
580 feet
860 feet

Total Length of Ziplines
1.8 miles
1.4 miles
.6 miles
1.8 miles

Approximate Time of Tour
45 to 60+ mins
45 to 60+ mins
45 to 60+ mins
45 to 60+ mins

Distance from Cruiseship Dock
20 mins NE
25 mins NE
25 mins NE
20 mins NW

Pull Brake/Gloves Required to Control Speed
No
No
No
Yes

Restrooms/Snack Bar/Gift Shop Available
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Size Limit/Restrictions
You Must be Able to Fit into the Harness
There are no scales to weigh you, but it is more or less based on how your weight is carried. For example, an athletic 250 pound person will probably enjoy and be more comfortable on the zipline than a 250 pound person with a sedentary lifestyle. But, if you can fit into the harness, the zipline companies will allow you to zip! Ziplining can be exhausting and will involve repetitive lifing of your legs when approaching platforms, ankel and wrist pressures when landing and taking off from platforms, as well as some jumping and other body stresses as you zip through the lines. Persons who are pregnant or have a history of ankel sprains, neck, back, joint, or heart problems, or other serious illness are advised not to participate. Participants must be physically able to hike one half mile through uneven and downhill terrain. Ankel and Wrist injuries are common, so be advised.

Going on a zipline is very fun, but can be a physcially demanding trip!
Be sure to wear shoes that will not fall into the jungle below. Be aware that cameras, hats, sunglasses and other objects can fall into the jungle, too!

Going on a zipline is very fun, but can be a physcially demanding trip!
Be sure to wear shoes that will not fall into the jungle below. Be aware that cameras, hats, sunglasses and other objects can fall into the jungle, too!

One thing RoatanMan didn't mention to be aware of YOU MAY DIE so be sure your life insurance policies are update. Once you see these ziplines and the "maintenance" the locals provide....you'll understand!!!!:mooner:

Having been on two of the ziplines I didnt see any major causes for concern. In fact, the operators are Pirates Extreme seemed to be very safety conscious. Yes, their standards may be different than what we have in the US, and that's a chance you have to take when traveling to "third world" countries. There is some risk involved in the zip lines and one has to decide whether the thrill is worth the small chance of injury/death. We make choices every day.

Did you ask what their cable inspection and replacement procedures are? That's the most important single safety issue, and the fact that a cable has already broken makes me deeply suspicious. Do you think that cable car operators in the Alps and Rockies are content with the odd cable breaking, so long as it isn't too often?

But I suppose it's your life. Just don't subject your kids to such a lottery. Now you know what recently happened, you would probably be legally liable to them if anything did happen to them. Certainly you would be morally responsible.

Did you ask what their cable inspection and replacement procedures are? That's the most important single safety issue, and the fact that a cable has already broken makes me deeply suspicious. Do you think that cable car operators in the Alps and Rockies are content with the odd cable breaking, so long as it isn't too often?

It's Honduras, for Pete's sake (sorry Pete). What do you think they are? I would wager that they are non-existent.

The European Alps- each country has similar strict regulations. The tramway builders are even required to place exhibits at the base of each lift house that are cross-sectioned exemplars of the cables that are utilized. It's not only law, it's a matter of pride.

US Alpine Regions are subject to regulations no less strict. Me and the little woman used to sell chairlift and tramway evac equipment back in College. The rule book was thick, specific and ancient.

But I suppose it's your life. Just don't subject your kids to such a lottery. Now you know what recently happened, you would probably be legally liable to them if anything did happen to them. Certainly you would be morally responsible.

This would also apply to SCUBA diving, no less, no more.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-travel-vacation-discussions/226313-safe-go-there.html

No Risk..No Reward.

Should we be carefull in what we do in life? Sure.

Should we be so anal about everything that we don't have fun? I sure don't subscribe to that theory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom