Roatan ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pinefish

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for a new place in the Caribbean to fall in love :07: with and spend vacation time. The island that we have been frequenting for 10 years (Tortola-BVI) is much to our concern and disappointment, becoming way too developed. Roatan seems to have alot of the qualities we are looking for. However, there is one pressing question. Is Roatan a safe place for two women traveling alone? We are not divers - however we love to snorkel off the beach and would want explore the island from one end to the other.

Thank You! :dazzler1:

Roatan has some developed areas, but some Outback, too. You'd be fine with a good guide; Roatanman will surely know some to suggest.

Maybe you ask too much to want Safe and Undeveloped on the same island. A compromise is surely possible. :D

pinefish:
Looking for a new place in the Caribbean to fall in love :07: with and spend vacation time. The island that we have been frequenting for 10 years (Tortola-BVI) is much to our concern and disappointment, becoming way too developed. Roatan seems to have alot of the qualities we are looking for. However, there is one pressing question. Is Roatan a safe place for two women traveling alone? We are not divers - however we love to snorkel off the beach and would want explore the island from one end to the other.

Thank You! :dazzler1:

As Don says, I may know. Being the hulking creature that I am, most 'ner do wells steer clear.

Guanaja, Utila and the bulk of Roatan are very very safe areas. On Roatan, I would avoid Coxen Hole when the shops are closed at night (why be there otherwise?). In general, avoid any booze consuming area (a good rule for life) and your chances of a bad outcome are greatly reduced.

Cat around the rest of the island in relative peace and safety. Think about your surroundings on any island or vacation spot.

I put Roatan on a 2 out of 10 fear factor rating, Utila a 1.25/10, Guanaja 1.10/10, etc. By comparison? The Galapagos .02/10, but Quito rates a 9.2/10 along with Guayaqil. SanPedro Sula? Depends again on the time of day, but more like a 5.8/10. Get my drift?

All in all, a lot better odds of surviving in Roatan than Jamaica or the D.R.

If you stay in the West End districts, (and obviously) within your AI resort, you have little to fear. If you walk a very long way and sleep on a beach, you may have unwelcome company.

If you want to snorkel from shore, about the best (and only) spot to do this is from CoCoView Resort, where the fear factor element is .01/10, and next door at Fantasy Island where the shore snorkel is not as close, and locals can come on to the resort, but you are about as safe.

Be aware of your surroundings, understand what you will do, what you should do- if confronted with negative circumstance. It is, after all, part of life.

DandyDon:
Roatan has some developed areas, but some Outback, too. You'd be fine with a good guide; Roatanman will surely know some to suggest.

Maybe you ask too much to want Safe and Undeveloped on the same island. A compromise is surely possible. :D

The North end of Tobago- Speyside and Charlottesville come to mind- safe and sweet. Snorkeling is rather limited.

You can also snorkle from any hotel in West Bay (which is a 15 minute walk from West End). This would be a lot cheaper than an all inclusive plus more variety of restaurants and bars.

Thanks for the information guys!

Sounds like The Bay Islands are reasonably safe, providing that one uses common sense caution - which we do as a rule; generally don't venture out at night until we get familiar enough to know exactly where to and where not to go.

Maybe you ask too much to want Safe and Undeveloped on the same island. A compromise is surely possible.

Dandy Don I find your comment interesting in the sense that The BVI's remained virtually crime-free until the big push for development and an increase in tourism happened. Your suggestion to get a guide sounds like a good idea before we set out on our own. Thanks! :wink:

We really prefer not to do the 'All Inclusive' thing so Fantasy Island is more our speed. We like to beach-hop in a jeep and if possible, it would also be nice to day-trip to the other Bay Islands as well. Thanks RoatanMan for the information! :dance:

We will certainly consider Roatan as our New Island Getaway.

There is a trip planned in May of next year to dive in Roatan. You might want to check it out under the Group Trips section. I'm going, not like that is going to persuade you or anything, but its my first time going. :)

pinefish:
We really prefer not to do the 'All Inclusive' thing so Fantasy Island is more our speed. We like to beach-hop in a jeep and if possible, it would also be nice to day-trip to the other Bay Islands as well. Thanks RoatanMan for the information! QUOTE]

FIBR is indeed an all inclusive.

There aren't many beaches to "hop". FIBR, West End, and Paya Bay.

Driving your own vehicle in the Bay Islands is a whole lot more dangerous than your original fears. If you don't get killed (the roads suck and there are no real medical facilities), you could wind up supporting for life anyone you hit. Ill advised, at best.

Not much of a beach in West End but a great beach in West Bay. I agree that you don't need a vehicle in the Bay Islands. Roatan is plenty safe ... especially in the tourist areas. Note that the all inclusive resorts are separate "compounds" away from other hotels / restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom