Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
. . .Weight does not enter into the calculation because weight is not a constant. Mass is the constant, mass remains the same under water, in space or at 1ATA.
. . .

Actually, (we say that before we disagree :wink: ) weight does enter the calculations. As soon as the the lifting force exits the water, weight slows the assent. The lifting forces in this case is the BCD, so when the BCD leaves the water, gravity effects the mass of the diver and all their gear.

xiSkiGuy:
Gore invented the internet. Quayle taught Rec Diver how to spell.
Yup :)

Maybe she was upside down when she ascended? <EG>

If a diver that weighs 180 + pounds can breach the surface 7'....lets say that they have 100# or so of lift, then how far will a 100 pound lift bag fly out of the water, since it only weigs a couple of pounds???? must be at least 100 feet or so....maybe we should all start checking for hovering helicopters before we inflate a lift bag!

The only way a diver can actually breach the surface would be if the diver we propelled from below.

Let's say you were somehow standing on a lift bag, the bag would hit the surface, and since you are on the lift bag, your feet would clear the surface.

A diver in standard gear cannot clear the water, though it might feel like it and mistaken witnesses might actually say they saw it.

Forget my earlier drysuit test, I have a simpler far more disgusting and accurate test.

1. Side of beef "trim" to desired weight (bouyancy is probably similiar to a person).
2. 40lb lift bag. Roughly the lift capacity of most BCs.
3. Weight belt.

Slice a hole in the beef and secure weight belt through hole with approx. 10lbs of weight to simulate weights worn.

Attach lift bag to belt.

Fire away.

Start out with a heavier weight, say 200lbs. The nearly neutral bouyancy of the meat could be used to compensate for the weight of the diver and a nearly empty tank. Both of which are near neutral in the water, but heavy after the breach.

If you want to get scientific you could wrap it in an old weightsuit for added bouyancy and attach the lift bag directly to the beef and, finally, hit the quick release on the weight belt buckle as you finish filling the lift bag to simulate a panicked rush to the surface.

I wouldn't advise eating the meat afterwards, but if your crazy enough to try this, a little bacteria isn't gonna scare you off.

This might be a good time for the warning you see on stickers plastered all over every new ladder near the very top platform ... "Not to be used as a step, etc."

Please don't try this at home folks .... unless of course your body defies most laws of human Physics/Physiology or you are a whale, shark, seal, penguin, flying fish, fast attack submarine etc .... you are not clearing the water and attempting to do so will be very bad for your health.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shellacking. :D

Does anyone know where I can get a Breaching Diver certification, or should I just start practicing it myself.

Its not how deep you've gone, it's how much air you've cleared.

I just submitted the myth to mythbusters, we'll see if it's worthy... :)

Roak

TCDiver1:
This might be a good time for the warning you see on stickers plastered all over every new ladder near the very top platform ... "Not to be used as a step, etc."

Please don't try this at home folks .... unless of course your body defies most laws of human Physics/Physiology or you are a whale, shark, seal, penguin, flying fish, fast attack submarine etc .... you are not clearing the water and attempting to do so will be very bad for your health.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shellacking. :D

Even whales get bent from time to time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom