Rocket Ascents... Can divers breach like a fish (split from Accident in Mich)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanaut4ata:
No, but try this: propel a 180 # object and a 2 # object straight up,at the same speed and see which one stops traveling up first. Just a guess, but I think that the heavier object would cease to travel upward sooner...........I can't believe I got sucked into this thread!!!!!!!!

in a vacuum, they both fall in the same trajectory. galileo, yadda, yadda, yadda....

agreed.

A weather balloon sized BCD...full of helium...really big fins....on a fast dropping tide.....on top of Mt Everest.....nahh....

Aquanaut4ata:
Just a guess, but I think that the heavier object would cease to travel upward sooner...........
I guess you're not sure... your "guess" is incorrect :wink:

Both objects, ignoring negligible air resistance, will have velocities that change by exactly 32 ft/s every second.

pants!:
I guess you're not sure... your "guess" is incorrect :wink:

Both objects, ignoring negligible air resistance, will have velocities that change by exactly 32 ft/s every second.

Pants, you have a lot of dive knowledge, it seems, so why not tell the board about your dive history? Fill in your dive history and stop being so shy.

I'm with pants on this one. Assuming what I learned in Physics class in college is still true, an object is going to accelerate towards the earth with an acceleration equal to 9.8 meters/second/second. If the object is on its way up, we might call that a deceleration, but it all depends on your frame of reference. The force on the object will vary with mass, otherwise known as the weight of the object, but the acceleration of the gravity of the earth is a constant, unless you figure out how to significantly change the mass of the earth. :)

As to being able to breach the surface and actually make it into the air? Total load of BS. Didn't we all take a balloon into the swimming pool as a kid? Even a helium balloon can't break the surface tension when it gets to the top, no way a diver in a BC is going to do even dropping all their weight inflating their BC to bursting and kicking like hell.

If the 180# object and the 2# object are made of the same material and have the same basic shape so as to have an equal air resistance they will travel to the same height at the same speed and then fall to the earth at the same speed also.

Deep Lake:
If the 180# object and the 2# object are made of the same material and have the same basic shape so as to have an equal air resistance they will travel to the same height at the same speed and then fall to the earth at the same speed also.

But the 180 lb object would require more force to get it airborne because it is fighting harder against gravity. Otherwise, you could use the same two fingers to throw the 2 lb object in the air as to throw the 180 lb object.

This is ridiculous.

But it's also the best thread ever (ever being defined as the short amount of time during which I've been a member).

Did anyone happen to notice in the original thread our boy said the divers acent rate was 100ft in 10 sec. Since the acceleration of gravity is 32 ft/sec squared , 10ft per sec will hardly get your shoulders out of the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom