Rodale's latest mask review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not trying to knock the list, I just don't understand what good it does anybody. Just cause a mask is rated well doesn't have anything to do with how it fits you. I'd recommend asking around about different features on masks, figuring out what you want, and then asking what masks are available like that. Then go try them on and see which one fits. Don't forget to stuff a reg in your mouth when trying it on, cause fitting a mask without one just isn't representing how your face is while diving.

I like black skirt as I dive in the waters of BC, Canada. It's dark up here, and lights through the skirt, or worse yet, side windows, get quite distracting. With a low volume mask you have quite good peripheral vision already, so no need for side windows. And the fact it doesn't yellow helps too.

bcsean:
not trying to knock the list, I just don't understand what good it does anybody. Just cause a mask is rated well doesn't have anything to do with how it fits you. I'd recommend asking around about different features on masks, figuring out what you want, and then asking what masks are available like that. Then go try them on and see which one fits. Don't forget to stuff a reg in your mouth when trying it on, cause fitting a mask without one just isn't representing how your face is while diving.

I like black skirt as I dive in the waters of BC, Canada. It's dark up here, and lights through the skirt, or worse yet, side windows, get quite distracting. With a low volume mask you have quite good peripheral vision already, so no need for side windows. And the fact it doesn't yellow helps too.
Well by reading the article I had the opportunity to see the features on 31 different masks. I might be blond but I'm not quite stupid enough to believe that whatever is rated #1 by some magazine is automatically the best and what I need. I would be hard pressed to find 15 different people to ask about their masks, assuming that all 15 owned two different masks and each person did not repeat a single one. The article is but one source of information. And again, I might be blond, but I know enough to get plenty of information, reading, talking and trying them out. Just because I haven't dived a couple hundred times, don't think I can't evaluate things for myself or make critical decisions. My decision making process is quite intact, thank-you-very-much. I'd be really interested to know if you read car reviews before you purchase or if you only speak to current owners and test drive them?

I already have a lovely list of possible features I might want in a mask. Black or clear is one that my jury has not yet taken a vote........I do know that I don't want any "extra" windows. You can keep the distortion on those I would find that more annoying than beneficial. Would you still use a black skirt if you were diving warm and hence, bright?

I wouldn't. Black skirts are great...

... they really do cut down on light distortion bouncing around inside the mask (especially true in a bright environment, and...

... they don't look like crap in a month, especially if, like me, you store your mask in your fin pocket (which will definitely cause clear silicon to yellow.)

pennypue:
Well, the list is nice for a newbie so don't dis it. I get to see a lot of features listed in one place. Mind if I ask why you prefer a black skirt to a clear skirt? I've not seen anywhere a listing of pros and cons. I like the idea that the black mask will not yellow.....what else?

Simple, it eliminates the reflections on the inside of the lens back to your eyes as a result of light entering from the sides (skirt). This is not a problem in dark diving environments.

pennypue:
Would you still use a black skirt if you were diving warm and hence, bright?

YES! I don't see myself ever using a clear skirt again. Used a clear one that was a gift when I first started diving and changed to a black one almost right away.

I hate that extra distracting overwhelming light coming in a clear skirt when I have to use one because I've given mine to a student/client for the dive...luckily this doesn't happen often!

Boogie711:
I wouldn't. Black skirts are great...

... they really do cut down on light distortion bouncing around inside the mask (especially true in a bright environment, and...

... they don't look like crap in a month, especially if, like me, you store your mask in your fin pocket (which will definitely cause clear silicon to yellow.)

I'm with you Boogie711, I like my black mask. I don't like the ambient light entering. I wrap my mask around both fins to store. Black silicone is a bit more pliable as well.

freediver:
I'm with you Boogie711, I like my black mask. I don't like the ambient light entering. I wrap my mask around both fins to store. Black silicone is a bit more pliable as well.
Now these are reasons I can enjoy. As far as diminishing the ambient light. I'm old (yeah get over what my pic looks like, I AM) well at least my eyes are old. I had lasik surgery on them too. I really don't mind a lot of light. But I think I've seen enough reasons to buy a black skirt. (I'm betting that my mask will be going in the fin pocket! At least at some point) Most likely I'll get a clear one for my daughter. (she really likes the thread from ScottZeagle about the custom color BCs. Neon yellow. :) She's 14, God love her.)

thanks for the constructive input!!

ShakaZulu:
Simple, it eliminates the reflections on the inside of the lens back to your eyes as a result of light entering from the sides (skirt). This is not a problem in dark diving environments.

Actually, it is a problem. My cave buddies tell me that in a dark environment, the lights behind you will give you all kinds of problems with a clear skirt, for the same reasons you mentioned above-but even worse. The variation in light intensity is greater in a dark area.

pennypue:
I already have a lovely list of possible features I might want in a mask. Black or clear is one that my jury has not yet taken a vote........I do know that I don't want any "extra" windows. You can keep the distortion on those I would find that more annoying than beneficial. Would you still use a black skirt if you were diving warm and hence, bright?

I only dive in warm & "bright" waters and prefer the black skirt - Helps a lot for photography

detroit diver:
Actually, it is a problem. My cave buddies tell me that in a dark environment, the lights behind you will give you all kinds of problems with a clear skirt, for the same reasons you mentioned above-but even worse. The variation in light intensity is greater in a dark area.
meaning that you see it bouncing off the skirt? i didn't care for using my light in the cenote, nor on a dusk dive. so while i don't plan on doing much cave diving yet, I guess that makes sense for me. I didn't like just that much light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom