Rodales rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that Rodales and affiliate dive traing are rags.

I have been certified since 74,..very active diver and I am tired of seeing the same articles and photos over and over for years.

They are in the dive bus and need to put something out true or false. You would be surprised at how many of the articles,..even ones on accidents and mis-behavior are fiction and fabricated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gator probably only backed off into the trees,.. when I dropped below the ledge,..he saw his chance to hit the river mouth.

He was diving alone too!

Perhaps if he had a buddy I would have been too scared to continue the dive and intimidate him.

There is a differnce from putting on a 3mm suit and jumping into a Florida spring that is much like a large swimming pool and doning a dry suit in the great lakes or cutting a hole in the ice and doing it alone.

Just as diving,..scuba board is fun

Man if a gator slamed in to me while diving (or not), I'd likely poop my wetsuit!

Krisscuba once bubbled...
I think that Rodales and affiliate dive traing [sic]are rags.

Why do you think Rodales and Dive Training are affiliated? There's nothing in the masthead of either magazine pointing to any commonality in management, ownership or publishers.

Slinging mud should at least have accuracy to it. :wink:

Marc

Kris...

Gotta go with FLL on this...where is your proof. I personally don't care for Rod, but DT has pretty decent quality articles for beginning divers and for those who are brushing up on the basics.

Sounds like a baseless accusation to me. Have you ever even picked up a DT magazine? There is no similarity between the magazines at all (except for the diving thread) and so I seriously doubt that you are referring to the same magazine that I am.

Dt is in MO and Rodales in Savannah,...I can guess the BD shop it is affiliated with.

DT angers me. They used to send it to me by the dozens,.. now once a month,.. which is one more time then I need. The same pictures and articles month after month,..year after year.

You probably like the crap on the baack page for months telling people to support their local LDS. It is not my job. If it was,.. come over to my place and support my desire to dive. It is the LDS 's job to make me want to go in and spend money.
I have long since cut the cord with the LDS,... no need for them. Not even for air!!!

Dt is in MO and Rodales in Savannah,...I can guess the BD shop it is affiliated with.

Can you explain what you mean by "the BD shop"?

Marc

WaterDawg once bubbled...
Man if a gator slamed in to me while diving (or not), I'd likely poop my wetsuit!

They're working just as hard to get away from you as you are from them.

It would probably cause moderator actioHer in Florida we live in the jungle, not far from where Sea hunt, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Tarzan were filmed . I live on 6 acres, in the middle of no where. 20 miles from the nearest gas station. I have to keep shotguns staged around the homestead and shop for killer critters and very large snakes and lizards, bears, panters ets.

Going solo is a case of self efficency...
Instructors simply cannot rely on novice experience in a situation that may develop subaqua, In effect instructors dive relying on themselves only..

Many people will only have a buddy in the same body of water that cannot be relied on in loa or ooa situations.
If you cannot handle yourself on a dive or better still be expecting to be relied on should you be there qualified in the first place.

At least by running a course on self efficency divers are made aware that in reality on holiday with a buddy you have met on the boat, that you cannot assume that you can rely on them in an emergency you simply do not know.

so solo diving or being able to look after yourself whats the difference...

Incidently this year we have not had any accidents from solo divers but have at least three caused by panicking mis matched "dive buddies" resulting in serious injury to both divers.

Personally id rather dive alone then with someone who will not react correctly or worse still be expecting me to get them out of troublewhile panicking

Thanks gary dive medic/instructor

I have been certified since 74,..very active diver and I am tired of seeing the same articles and photos over and over for years.

I've noticed this too. It seems like every issue has some stupid article about sea sickness in which they basically restate what they said about it last month. You think the writers would have something new to say...

Back
Top Bottom