Rodales rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey once bubbled...
I still subscribe to Dive Training magazine. I have liked them ever since they gave a free subscription during my wife's OW course.

They advertise, but I haven't seen an obvious bias in the articles like I have in other trade magazines.

i think Dive training is one of the better ones. They do seem to be jumping on the expiring c-card band wagon though.

I do like DT mag, but I have a helluva time getting a hold of a copy here in Okinawa. Does anyone read Advanced Diver? Is it mostly tec stuff?

"Unfortunately there has been a scuba death in the waters of Milne Bay,
PNG (Papua New Guinea), the first one ever. The person was a 75 year
old Canadian female with 3,200 dives logged with vast experience diving
in PNG waters and with this operator. She had gone in before her buddy
and had not waited for her buddy on the surface but immediately
descended. Her buddy promptly went in after her but upon descent could
not locate her on the top of the reef or at the edge of the drop off. He
then surfaced and notified all remaining divers and some crew who went
in to try and locate her but unfortunately to no avail. All indications
show that she may have been suffering from stomach cancer and was on
quite a cocktail of painkillers and drugs that aid in the treatment of
severe stomach ulcers. An air and sea search was carried out by
operators in the area and through the Canadian and Australian High
Commissions in PNG but her body or any remains and gear has not been
located. The diver was on air, not nitrox or trimix."

Here's another diver death for you guys to blame on "solo" diving... :)

I'm sure PADI OW standards were somehow resposible too.

And remember, even at 3,200 dives, her OW instructor was responsible, according to some.

There are no deaths caused by solo diving, just as there are no deaths caused by driving drunk. See the actuall death is caused by a drunk driver hitting another car or a tree or something...get the point. No one can say for sure if a buddy might have been able to help her, but no one can say for sure if an airbag would have saved a victim of an accident w/o one. Maybe her complications, either caused by medicine or cancer could have been solved on the surface, a buddy can help you get there.

I do think people should train to be self sufficient as a solo diver, but also work on buddy skills. In the military we work in "buddy teams" just for extra saftey, if you arent doing anything difficult and think that the benefits out weigh the risk, go ahead but having that extra hand/eyes/air/BRAIN dosent hurt.

A few weeks ago I was Solo diving Morrison Springs, low vis when I was run over the top by a very large gator,...perhaps if I had a buddy, he would have had someone else to choose from.

When I started diving, I asked why we had such big knives,..I was told in case of sharks. I said,..do you really think I can fight a shark with this,..no I was told,...it is to stick your buddy with,...It will give you time to ge away.

WaterDawg once bubbled...

I do think people should train to be self sufficient as a solo diver, but also work on buddy skills. In the military we work in "buddy teams" just for extra saftey, if you arent doing anything difficult and think that the benefits out weigh the risk, go ahead but having that extra hand/eyes/air/BRAIN dosent hurt.

Solo diving is each diver's personal choice, but isn't proper buddy diving simply a way of improving the odds. I read constantly comments to the effect "solo diving doesn't cause deaths" and I can't dispute that, but I always wonder about the corollary to it. How many deaths have been avoided because of a working buddy system?

There are lots of ways to rationalize a diving death so that it's made to sound like solo diving was not at fault. Equipment failure, health issues, narcosis etc can happen to a solo diver OR a team diver. But how often is rationalization unnecessary because there happened to be a buddy handy and that turned a potentially catastrophic problem into a routine one?

YMMV
JohnF

Sometime I really love solo diving. I've worked hard to develope the skills (and attitudes) to allow myself to do so with a level of risk that is acceptable to me.

I guess I would be safer w/ a buddy, or a full surface support team, on on-the-site medical staff, surface comminucation, and I of couse I could really reduce my risk by not diving at all, but, for me I understand that every activity (such as driving) invloves certain risk. I work hard to reduce the risks (and not ever be reckless).

There's nothing inherently unsafe about diving alone, done properly it can carried out with a reasonable degree of saftey.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
Sometime I really love solo diving. I've worked hard to develope the skills (and attitudes) to allow myself to do so with a level of risk that is acceptable to me.

I guess I would be safer w/ a buddy, or a full surface support team, on on-the-site medical staff, surface comminucation, and I of couse I could really reduce my risk by not diving at all, but, for me I understand that every activity (such as driving) invloves certain risk. I work hard to reduce the risks (and not ever be reckless).

There's nothing inherently unsafe about diving alone, done properly it can carried out with a reasonable degree of saftey.

Your reply pretty much sums it up. We all have different comfort levels for our risk taking. We need to respect others decisions and not think our own degree of risk is something to compare everyone else to.

I think that Rodales and affiliate dive traing are rags.

I have been certified since 74,..very active diver and I am tired of seeing the same articles and photos over and over for years.

They are in the dive bus and need to put something out true or false. You would be surprised at how many of the articles,..even ones on accidents and mis-behavior are fiction and fabricated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gator probably only backed off into the trees,.. when I dropped below the ledge,..he saw his chance to hit the river mouth.

He was diving alone too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom