Rodales rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon once bubbled...
Have to ask you since I live in Humboldt county...

I can see your points on LA, SF, Oakland, and Alameda but whats up with Humboldt? The whole county has a population of around 100k and is NOTHING llike the counties you mentioned.
care to explain? (not trying to start a argument, just curious)
Specifically the coastal regions... similar to Santa Cruz, though not quite as bad. It's the college-town mentality that gets to me... too much idealism, which isn't terible in itself, but needs to be tempered with a healthy dose of realism.

Honestly, if I were to relocate to NorCal, it would be to the Eureka area (and retire to Whiskeytown).

But WTF do I know about the place... I can't even spell it correctly :D

As much as we on the right coast like to bash the left coast, there is a saying which holds some truth, that is 'as goes California so goes the country'

Lets see, Governor is getting ELECTED OUT of office.

Worst unemployment of any state.

Worst debt of any state (more than all states combined if you exclude New York and Texas)

As "fruity" as the left coast can be they are the keystone of the nation. A prosperous California is good for the country.

my half cent since someone went left field on this topic.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

Like New Hampshire divers being unable to take lobster, even though commercial take is allowed?

So you're rationalizing California's behavior by citing a bunch of yankee's?

Honestly Rich...

Drew

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

The state of California has the 11th largest economy in the world.

Well you're about the same size as Germany so we expect you to pull your weight.

I can go snow ski on Saturday morning, and do a night dive Saturday night, drive to a winery on Sunday morning, and go to a premier on Sunday evening.

Sorry buddy but that doesn't make your state unique.

Cornfed

Anybody here want to discuss diving?
Rick

Frankly I think that Rodales has turned into "Dive Travel/Gear Showcase" anyway.

But as far as solo diving goes, an experienced, properly equiped diver is not the issue here. Training agencies (show me the money) are looking to make solo diving for the masses acceptable. Too many divers are lucky if they can finish a dive without drowning themselves or their buddy. But you can't protect the stupid from themselves.

People who are going to be successful solo divers are going to do it without the need for another c-card. They will get the experience and training that they need on their own. Their only real problem is that most dive operators won't accept solo divers, so they have to buddy-up at least until they get underwater.

Not everything you've learned is gospel. A lot of it is tailored to the expected experience level of people taking the course and in an effort to limit liability. (Search for "personal responsibility")

GreyWarrior once bubbled...
Frankly I think that Rodales has turned into "Dive Travel/Gear Showcase" anyway.

I agree. Has anyone noticed how they droped the "scubalab" logo and changed to a "rodales SD mag" pick of the month?

Whats up w/ that are ScubaLabs new owners not taking bribes anymore?

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Anybody here want to discuss diving?
Rick

No.

cornfed once bubbled...
So you're rationalizing California's behavior by citing a bunch of yankee's?

Honestly Rich...
Not rationalizing... and certainly not in agreement with it... just pointing out to Genesis that the People's Republic of California is not the only state with illogical laws restricting individual freedoms.

mgri once bubbled...
As much as we on the right coast like to bash the left coast, there is a saying which holds some truth, that is 'as goes California so goes the country'

Probably made up by a Californian!

I love FLORIDA...

I can make a dive or two on Saturday morning, catch a movie Saturday night, go to church on Sunday and wake up Monday and go to work!

Weeee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom