Rodales rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
How about this death of a local diver the day before yesterday?

Keep trying.

This guy wasn't a solo diver, he was a seperated buddy diver, showing once again, that a buddy did him no good.

Then, as a spearfisherman, at the age of 52, I doubt he was an OW diver, although the article doesn't say.

Then, there's no cause of death, anyway.

His buddy coulda watched it happen, and panicked.

Then, what's he gonna say?

Chalking this guy up to solo diving is pure speculation.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Most divers who die are solo when it happens.

That doesn't make them solo divers.

On TDS there's a thread about the 18 year old DM candidate who died on the west coast. Links are there to news articles and statements by the divers buddy. The were seperated and I guess it looks like he ran out of air. He even had a pony bottle.

Ah. Another buddy...

The diver who died at Gilboa a couple months back was solo (seperated from his group) when he got into trouble.

That's not how I remember it.

But he still wasn't a solo diver.

Custer once bubbled...

Then, there's no cause of death, anyway.

His buddy coulda watched it happen, and panicked.

He coulda also helped him! No one will ever know for sure now huh? I can't give you info on solo diver that have died, heck I cant even give you names of buddy team that have died. Im Not saying that people who do it will surely perish. But the magazine targets beginners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you FEEL safe going solo but Im sure your not a begginer.

Custer once bubbled...
MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Most divers who die are solo when it happens.

-Maybe-, some training in self dependance could have saved their lives.

It certainly couldn't make them a worse buddy...

On TDS there's a thread about the 18 year old DM candidate who died on the west coast. Links are there to news articles and statements by the divers buddy. The were seperated and I guess it looks like he ran out of air. He even had a pony bottle.

Ah. Another buddy...

The diver who died at Gilboa a couple months back was solo (seperated from his group) when he got into trouble.

That's not how I remember it.

But he still wasn't a solo diver.

So I won't pick on anyone in particular.... rant as follows...

Hey, don't want to solo dive? Easily solved. DON'T SOLO DIVE!

Don't like solo dive articals? Easily solved, DON'T READ IT!

Want to solo dive? great, bring your speargun and tell me what time to start the BBQ.

Don't like Rodales? Who gives a damn! Don't read it!

Does it surprise you that Rodales is promoting Solo dive courses as sponsored by an agency? It shouldn't. The agency paid for the publicity! It's NO different than Bob Brayman's "Paychecks in paradise" ad for "Become an instructor, no experience required" in Dive Training Magazine. Money talks, end of story.

It's not like Rodale's is subliminally telling you to go solo dive, that's your choice.

If this kind of stuff scares you, ditch scuba and take up solo bird watching!

As far as diver deaths, it happens, football players croak mid-punt too. Tennis players clutch thier chests in mid swing, Hell, there are urban legends of old guys mounting thier 18 year old newlywed bride for the 6th time in one night and konking off. Who cares. People die! Guess what? You will too!

If I had to pick the way I'd kick the bucket and had to choose an alternate just incase death screwed up the first one. the order is as follows...

1. Being 80, Knocking boots with my 18 year old newlywed wife, on my honeymoon, round number 6.

2. At depth, looking at all sorts of cool fish on a reef.

3. (Tossed in for the hell of it) 80 years old, knocking boots for the 6th time with my 18 year old newlywed wife, on my honeymoon, at depth, on a cool reef with lots of voyuer fish enjoying the show. (Better option than number 1 or 2, yeah, I'll go with this one and I didn't even have to dive solo to do it! I want to see someone offer certification in THIS! Yeah baybee! Think Rodales will publish it?)

*singing* "How do you like me NOW"!

WaterDawg once bubbled...

He coulda also helped him! No one will ever know for sure now huh? I can't give you info on solo diver that have died, heck I cant even give you names of buddy team that have died. Im Not saying that people who do it will surely perish. But the magazine targets beginners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you FEEL safe going solo but Im sure your not a begginer.

People have to train and prepare for every aspect of diving they undertake.

You don't come out of openwater class ready to dive the Empress of Ireland.

You have to choose to do something, and then train for it, just like when you initially learned to dive.

But blowing solo diving, and it's level of increased danger wildly out of proportion isn't doing anyone any good.

People solo dive, it's a fact.

Not everyone dives with a regular buddy, it's a fact.

Not even your regular buddy may be able to help you, it's a fact.

Be prepared.

Custer once bubbled...
OK, rather than paying he game of "change the question" when the question you asked was clearly answered, perhaps asking the question you really want answered would save us all some time.

A buddied diver who loses their buddy is diving solo. Not by choice but solo nevertheless. You asked for solo deaths, you got a couple right off the bat, but rejected them.

So what's the question you REALLY want answered?

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

OK, rather than paying he game of "change the question" when the question you asked was clearly answered, perhaps asking the question you really want answered would save us all some time.

A buddied diver who loses their buddy is diving solo. Not by choice but solo nevertheless. You asked for solo deaths, you got a couple right off the bat, but rejected them.

Roak

Please. I clearly understood he was asking about solo divers and not separated divers. There is a BIG difference between the two.

Custer once bubbled...

People solo dive, it's a fact.

Not everyone dives with a regular buddy, it's a fact.

Not even your regular buddy may be able to help you, it's a fact.

Be prepared.

Yes people do solo dive, it is a fact.
Yes not everyone dives w/ a regular bud, it is a fact.
Your bud may be able to help you, thats a fact too.

But My thing here is not "solo diving...BAD" thats not it at all. I just think it unethical having advertisements in a mag disguised as legit articles, planting the seed in begniers minds, that "hey solo is just as good, its your ticket to diving freedom"

roakey once bubbled...

Roak

I'm not the one playing change the question.

Here's what -I- asked:

"Name 5 solo deaths in the U.S. on an OW ticket that you heard about last year.

Provide cites, including verification that the deaths were specifically caused by solo diving."

Please show me -exactly- where that question was answered, or feel free to answer it -yourself-.

Now, color me bitter, but, if a guy has a "dive -buddy-", how can he be a "-solo- diver"?

Then, none of the three deaths mentioned so far fit the parameters of the question.

The guy that died at Gilboa had a divemaster -physically attached to him- at the time.

The California guy was a DM candidate, or a DM.

I doubt the spearfisherman was a new diver.

And they were all buddy diving.

Back
Top Bottom