Rodales rants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN’s Report on Decompression Illness, Diving Fatalities and Project Dive Exploration: 2003 Edition

[DAN Fatality report01-40

Experienced solo diver ran out of air
under ice
Cause of Death: Asphyxia due to
insufficient air

This 43-year-old male was an experienced cer-tified
diver making a solo dive under the ice
using a full-face mask. The planned dive pro-file
was 78 feet (23.4 meters) for 25 minutes.
The diver used a line to the surface to commu-nicate
with his wife and daughter. When he
failed to respond to line-pull signals, they
attempted to pull him to the surface, but they
needed assistance. He was finally pulled to the
surface, but was pronounced dead at a local
medical treatment facility. The decedent’s tank
was empty, and the second stage on his regu-lator
free-flowed. He also had ice on the first
stage of the regulator, and there was water and
sand inside the face mask. No postmortem
toxicology was performed, but an investiga-tive
report indicated that the diver was on
antidepressant medication. Contributing fac-tors/
significant diagnoses included hyperten-sion,
elevated serum cholesterol, and gastroin-testinal
hemorrhage.

DAN Fatality report 01-67

Inexperienced diver, diving solo,
became trapped under ice
Cause of Death: Drowning due to
entrapment under ice

This 31-year-old male had open-water certifi-cation
and limited diving experience. He
made a solo dive through a hole in the ice to
prospect for gold. It was reported that this was
not the first time the decedent had done this.
He used line pull signals to communicate to
his surface tenders. After signaling to them
that he was coming up, the tenders were
unable to pull him through the ice and the line
broke. A recovery team described the condi-tions
under the ice as “treacherous,” noting
they had the body several times but could not
pull it to the surface.

DAN Fatality report 01-26

Experienced solo diver made repeated
deep dives, died during treatment for DCS
Cause of Death: Decompression sickness

This 39-year-old male was a very experienced
diver with open-water certification, but he
had not made a dive during the previous year.
He had a past history of decompression sick-ness.
The diver was a participant in a
spearfishing contest and made a series of five
repetitive solo dives to greater than 165 fsw
(49.5 msw). He had computer and buoyancy
compensator problems and used minimal sur-face
intervals, exceeding the limits of any
computer or table. His fourth dive was to 165
fsw (49.5 msw). He had a surface interval of
less than 10 minutes before descending to a
depth of 180 fsw (54 msw). The diver was
experiencing symptoms of decompression
sickness prior to his last descent, but he made
the dive anyway. After surfacing from this
final dive, he complained of respiratory dis-tress.
He was taken to a local recompression
chamber, where he died after a U.S. Navy
Treatment Table 6A. At autopsy he had some
bubbles in the pericardium

DAN Fatality report 01-19

Solo nitrox diver with motion sickness
and poor physical condition
Cause of Death: Air embolism

This 42-year-old male was an experienced
diver with nitrox certification. He was seasick
prior to entering the water and planned a 100-
fsw (30-msw) wreck dive on nitrox without a
buddy. The decedent made it down to 28 fsw
(8.4 msw) and surfaced three minutes later
without the regulator in his mouth. He was
talking on the boat before losing conscious-ness.
Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful.
Contributing factors/significant diagnoses
included obesity, motion sickness and tobacco
abuse.
Cause of Death: Air embolism due to rapid
ascent

Moral of the story as I see it..... People die while diving. Everyone should work to increase their safety margin. I also think it should be required reading to read all the Fatality reports as they give you an appreciation for the inherant risk associated with diving.

Many more people dive while in buddy pairs BUT, as stated earlier, most of these were due to buddy seperation. Everyone should be a self sufficient as possible.

All DAN reports can be found on the member portion of their website.

Stay Safe :getsome:
Pete

Based on 42 years of experience, about half solo and half buddied, I have had NO incidents diving solo and a number of incidents diving with buddies (all buddies whose skill levels were not what they, or in some cases their certification, indicated).

While I don't advocate solo diving for everyone, there are safety trade-offs both ways solo or buddy. When I dive solo, I dive with a greater safety margin of course (pony bottle). I rarely "pick up" a buddy these days (unless on a dive boat without a partner), and generally only buddy dive with other divers whose skill levels and dive plans I'm familiar with.

Dr. Bill

Hip Hip Hurrah for Rodale's! I'm starting my subscription today zeN

Custer once bubbled...
Name 5 solo deaths in the U.S. on an OW ticket that you heard about last year.

Provide cites, including verification that the deaths were specifically caused by solo diving.

Well, there have been two in Jamestown, RI, one on the Chester Poling in Gloucester Harbor, MA, and one in Rockport off a beach. These are all places *I* dive.

That's in the last couple months. I really don't feel like digging up the links, but look through the NELD archives and you'll find them.

Geeze-look at the examples of solo diving you produced-poor examples of choosing reasonable limits for a solo dive (ice diving solo? c'mon man? zeN

Soggy once bubbled...

Well, there have been two in Jamestown, RI, one on the Chester Poling in Gloucester Harbor, MA, and one in Rockport off a beach. These are all places *I* dive.

That's in the last couple months. I really don't feel like digging up the links, but look through the NELD archives and you'll find them.

Sorry. So far out of all the deaths listed only one was even -marinally- in the scope, the prospector.

Marginal.

The prospector had his own chair in Darwin's waiting room, and was -tied- to people on the surface. No indication that a buddy would have saved him. And I don't know if I'd call ICEDIVING an OW dive.

So what you call a "solo death", probably isn't.

No cites, no body count.

I think, for what it's worth, that solo diving is what most people do, even when they are with a buddy. Diving with someone is not the same as having and using good awareness and buddy skills. I think a 'solo' mentality doesn't matter if you're diving alone or with someone. When something goes wrong, a 'solo' diver's first response is try to deal with it themselves, and to head to the surface alone, whether they are diving with a buddy or not.

The diver who died out here in Washington (the west coast casualty that MikeF referred to) basically encountered a problem, his buddy wasn't in visual contact with him, but even if he was, no one will know if this kid would have gone to his buddy for help. The last thing his buddy saw was the diver headed to the surface alone. His tanks were empty when they recovered his gear. His pony bottle was never deployed and there is some question about whether it had malfuntioned or been tangled out of reach. In either event, he left his buddy when the crisis happened.

Just because you're diving with a buddy doesn't mean you are practicing good buddy skills. And even if you think you are, what your first instinct would be in an emergency (which is usually an OOA situation) might be revealing of your real attitude toward diving. And I would go so far as to say that, though we were taught how to share our octo in my PADI OW course, the attitude we were taught was much more that of a solo diver.

That's part of the reason why I don't carry a pony bottle. My spare gas is on my buddy's back and if I have a problem, I'll go to them for help. If I had a pony bottle, I don't think I would keep as careful track of where my buddy, and my spare gas, was at all times. I also might try to deal with the problem myself first, and though it might work out just fine, it also might not and then I'm in a worse situation than when I started, and my buddy, who I hadn't been staying in close communication with because I had that pony bottle on my rig, might not be able to get to me in time.

So. It's not a question of whether you were diving with someone else in the water; there's alot more to it than that. It's a matter of orientation to diving with a buddy, relying on them, communicating with them, and constant awareness of where they are at any given moment during a dive.

I have two good buddies who are a videographer and a photographer, and yes, when they are working on that sometimes their heads are up their asses. But any time I have waved my light in their field of vision, or they thought that I did, they have turned and had their reg out of their mouth and are headed toward me without a moment of thought or hesitation. I would have had air within 3-5 seconds.

I think there are alot of diving accidents that would not have ended in the death of a diver if both divers had a different orientation to the idea of diving with a buddy. So the question about whether it is safer to dive solo or with a buddy doesn't really make sense. The question is whether it's safer to dive solo, or with a buddy where you both have a commitment to good buddy skills and awareness.

That's a 'duh' question. Though I'm not denigrating solo divers. I just think it's more risky. If the risk is worth it, rock on.

Margaret

Can anyone name 5 SCUBA deaths that were the direct result of buddy diving?

Seems to be a lot of comments regarding incidents in which buddies became separated. Or so the news articles say. Did they become separated, or did they not practice the proper tecnique of buddy diving to begin with. Doesn't seem like they would be separated to begin with if they stayed in contact with their buddy.

Would you classify these dives as "solo" or "Buddy Dives"?

I say niether. A solo dive would be a dive planned, and executed as solo. That doen't seem to apply.

A buddy dive would be a dive planned, and executed as a buddy dive. That doen't seem to apply.

So is it safer to dive with a buddy? or solo? Does it make a difference?

Perhaps a more appropriate question would be: If a problem, incident (ooa, medical, equipment whatever) occurs, are you better off solo, or with a buddy.?

Custer once bubbled...

Sorry. So far out of all the deaths listed only one was even -marinally- in the scope, the prospector.

Marginal.

The prospector had his own chair in Darwin's waiting room, and was -tied- to people on the surface. No indication that a buddy would have saved him. And I don't know if I'd call ICEDIVING an OW dive.

So what you call a "solo death", probably isn't.

No cites, no body count.

OK Custer, Here is what you want to hear NO ONE HAS EVER DIED BECUSE OF DIVING SOLO, BUDDIES ARE USELESS

You were given a few good examples but refuse to open you mind and and analyze them for what their worth, maybe you should dive solo more often.

WaterDawg once bubbled...

OK Custer, Here is what you want to hear NO ONE HAS EVER DIED BECUSE OF DIVING SOLO, BUDDIES ARE USELESS

You're the one "hearing" what you "want" to "hear".

Solo diving is baaaaaaaaaaaad juju.

You just can't explain why.

You were given a few good examples but refuse to open you mind and and analyze them for what their worth, maybe you should dive solo more often.

A) I asked for the examples.

B) I analyzed them with an open mind, you didn't.

And gave you all the credit I could.

C) I dive solo continually.

I'll be diving solo tonight, alone, and tomorrow, I'll be diving solo with 2 intructors and 12 students within reach.

Instead of getting upset with me, why don't you read some of these other reasoned responses, and think it over for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom