Rodale's Review of Weight Belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heath74 once bubbled...
I'm always open to suggestions if any of you have any ideas of how to make our products better.
I'm going to use the hot knife to make a slice through the mesh and velcro between each pocket so that the flap can be opened easier to add or remove a weight. Not that it is a big deal but since Rodales mention it I thought I would see if I could fix it.

It might or might not be a good idea... I'll let you know.

anybody have a picture

I typically use 30 lbs in my all-mesh belt from Idaho Sewing for Sports.....comfortable and secure. It does not slip down on my wet suit at all.

I guess Rodale's is correct in saying that the one piece pocket can be harder to access underwater, but this is a non-issue to me, in fact, I find the security of the single, long velcro flap one of its strong points.

http://www.idsewing.com/weight_belt.htm

Here is a pic of the mesh weight belt:
http://www.idsewing.com/oxcart/cart_img/items/155.jpg

Actually i had the same idea as pug and had even thought about putting some really nice padded shoulder straps on it.Now if i can only find a pair of big yellow handles to add to it somehow.It may not be DIR but ill bet rodales will be darn proud of me.

I actually own the DUI harness system. It is every bit as good as the review says it is. It is easy to forget you even have your weights on while topside. It is a very nice feeling not worrying about a belt slipping, etc..

The only drawback.... could be the yellow handles. You need to be sure they are clear of any webbing, etc. and that you keep all in order. Also the potential for snagging one of the yellow handles could be a concern I suppose.

They rated it with (5) stars. I think it earned them.

I do like mine very much.

Heath,

IMO:
Think about optional sholder straps. I like the DUI harness but would prefer pockets were I can drop individual weights and not have the large yellow loops. Would also be nice to add a slide-on pocket that held a light attached to a retractor.

BludDolphin,

Does the DUI harness hang below your BC? Are the weights on your hips?

Yes... it can be adjusted to ride just below your harness belt. That is how I wear mine. You can lower or raise it to your liking.

You can also move the weight fore or aft your abdomin for
helping with trim. It has a divide in each pouch for splitting up weights. Also.... it has a HUGE velcro surface on the flap enclosures, that looks like it will last a long time. The velcro pouches when closed, seem to be very secure (not a fan of velcro, but this product does as good a job as you will find using large velcro surfaces).

dleiss once bubbled...
Heath,

IMO:
Think about optional sholder straps. I like the DUI harness but would prefer pockets were I can drop individual weights and not have the large yellow loops. Would also be nice to add a slide-on pocket that held a light attached to a retractor.

I'm working on a design that would have shoulder straps and still be able to release the weight. I can add shoulder staps to the belt as it is but you would not be able to drop your weights in an emergency. I will costom add anything to a belt anyone wants.

Uncle Pug you said:

I'm going to use the hot knife to make a slice through the mesh and velcro between each pocket so that the flap can be opened easier to add or remove a weight.

How did it work for you?

Back
Top Bottom