Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1977 at Scuba Hut in Glen Burnie MD. John Collier was the instructor. My card had no microfiche. I keep it in a little plastic bag in case it finally crumbles.

Chaz Kafer taught my brother in Parkville, MD a year or so later. I recall that we were certified to 132 feet. What is the NASDS Safe Scuba Diver certification equal to now?

I was a close friend and occasional dive buddy of the founder John Gaffney. He gave me an Instructor rating when NASDS was formed. For what ever reason I never received a number but certified a number of students LA co/ NAUI and NASDS. Still have a few basic cards remaining..

The book "Safe Scuba" was written by William "Bill Hogan." Later editions will have another author -Zamos (?) listed. Same book. Typical Goffey Gaffney. Bill passed on two years ago in California.

NASDS Pubished two very interesting magazines, #1 was "Dive" from 1967 to 1971 NASDS went totally broke but forund some money in Bud and Josie Smith who backed John who then published the over sized "Aquarius" on occasion until 1973.

John Gaffney who founded NASDS passed on about 5 years ago.

Yes I remember NASDS..sdm

NASDS certified in 1990! i still have my Open Water card with microfiche in it!

Me too.
Certified in 1991 in Anaheim, CA by Harold Buchannan at International School of SCUBA Instruction. Long since closed.
A few years back I transitioned to SSI, and now I'm on to ANDI and soon I'll have a PADI card as well.

Too funny though. Most people don't even remember NASDS. I though I was the last Mohican.:rofl3:

NASDS certified in 1975. Still have what is left of my card, taped to an old business card to hold all the pieces together, with microfiche. Two years ago while in Aruba dive shop I have dove with for 10 years asked me why I did not get a new card. Then they said they had a special on AOW so I took it just to get a new card (PADI). My records were also lost in the Memphis fire. I also found a while back the necklace with the microfiche inside of it that NASDS also supplied, now how many still have that?

Yep, I was certified in 82. My card was breaking up so I had it encased in plastic to keep it together, you should see the look on the face of a shop owner/worker when they look at it and try to figure out if it's real, after all, who ever heard of NASDS and they want to know whats that black square on the right hand side of the card. It has been easier to show my Nitrox C-card (TDI), nobody asks questions when they see that card.
I've heard that you can get an SSI card for a fee if you send them your NASDS card, do you know if that is true?

Absolutely true. I did it a few years back. But not wanting to surrender my original, I filled out the "Lost Card Replacement" form from the SSI website. You just check the box the says "NASDS lost card" and bring it, along with about $50.00 to your local SSI shop.

NASDS certified in 1975. Still have what is left of my card, taped to an old business card to hold all the pieces together, with microfiche. Two years ago while in Aruba dive shop I have dove with for 10 years asked me why I did not get a new card. Then they said they had a special on AOW so I took it just to get a new card (PADI). My records were also lost in the Memphis fire. I also found a while back the necklace with the microfiche inside of it that NASDS also supplied, now how many still have that?

The necklace ... WOW, now there's a piece for the SCUBA museum.
My NASDS card by the way ... mint condition.

1974 out of Hayward, CA. (Bamboo Reef?). I still have my original textbook 'Safe Scuba'.

NASDS OWI 3741
Rick

1985 from the Aqua Shop in West Palm Beach Florida. The instructor was Bart Collins. I lost my NASDS card a year after I got it and was given an SSI card as a replacement. I still have the temporary NASDS card.
Bart told me I could take ten PADI classes and become a divemaster or I can take one NASDS class from him and be a master diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom