Roll Call for all Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southern Maryland (Waldorf) Did my OW at Lake Rawlings and AOW at Milbrook. Everything else has been in FL - Tampa area and Key Largo. I'll be in Orlando for a few days in Feb and plan on one day to the Palm Beach area, as long as the weather cooperates.:)

All,

Pedro from Northern VA (Bristow 10 mins from Millbrook Quarry). I started out diving in Aug 2004 and practically lived in the quarry until I joined up with the Magothy River Association (MRA) in May 2005. I exclusively dive at the Magothy River (near Arnold, MD; north of Annapolis) doing volunteer oyster reef conservation projects. When I visit my family in Orlando, I usually dive in Jupiter and New Smyrna, although I have also dived in Key Largo, Clearwater, and Crystal River area.

As far as group outings are concerned, Lake Rawlings and Dutch Springs would be good choices. VA Beach would be the best daytrip wreck dive location. I have gone to VA Beach twice and still haven't had a good dive, I figured I give it one more chance.

pairizarry:
I have gone to VA Beach twice and still haven't had a good dive, I figured I give it one more chance.
The secret is to PLAN on diving Sunday, then suddenly switch at the last moment and show up on Saturday. This way you avoid bad weather, LOL... :D

pairizarry:
All,

I exclusively dive at the Magothy River (near Arnold, MD; north of Annapolis) doing volunteer oyster reef conservation projects.
This is very interesting work. I am a malacologist working with the 60+ species of freshwater mussels in the rivers and streams of West Virginia. I would like to come there sometime and dive with you and see the projects you are working on. Naturally I am very familiar with Dreissena polymorpha (zebra mussel) but not so familiar with Mytilopsis leucophaeata (false dark mussel). I would be interested in learning more about it, the projects surrounding it and the folks working there.

I do most of my diving out of Ocean City, Maryland. The OC diver is a great boat, however I do miss the Surface Interval. The wife and kids keep me from going more often, but she has become much more understanding so anytime someone wants to go out just let me know. Usually I can free up my schedule at a moments notice (my job has spoiled me).

I am taking the advanced nitrox and stage decompression class this winter and hope someday to move on to trimix so that I can do some deeper wrecks.

Right now I am into collecting artifacts. My 5 year old wants me to bring back a human skull to put into his grandmothers mailbox, just so she can see it. He thinks scaring her would be great fun. I can't wait for him to be old enough to go with me. And no, I would not bring up any human bones. A trip to the Cooper River is on my "must do" list.

pairizarry:
All,

Pedro from Northern VA (Bristow 10 mins from Millbrook Quarry). I started out diving in Aug 2004 and practically lived in the quarry until I joined up with the Magothy River Association (MRA) in May 2005. I exclusively dive at the Magothy River (near Arnold, MD; north of Annapolis) doing volunteer oyster reef conservation projects. When I visit my family in Orlando, I usually dive in Jupiter and New Smyrna, although I have also dived in Key Largo, Clearwater, and Crystal River area.

As far as group outings are concerned, Lake Rawlings and Dutch Springs would be good choices. VA Beach would be the best daytrip wreck dive location. I have gone to VA Beach twice and still haven't had a good dive, I figured I give it one more chance.

Hey Pedro, long time no hear. How are the wife and kids? We're going to have to do better at touching base with each other.

Hope to see you in the water soon.

Paula

WVDiver and others,

For more information on getting involved with the MRA Volunteer Diver Program please contact:
diver@magothyriver.org

There's a training date for new divers into the program, which is usually in March.
Dives are usually weekly on Sundays and Wednesdays, once in the program. An email is sent weekly to the divers requesting support and first ones to respond are chosen.
This is totally a volunteer basis, so you can volunteer as much or as little as you want.

MRA is a member of American Association of Underwater Sciences and therefore must adhere to certain regulations and guidelines in their scientific dives. There is a few paperwork requirements such as medical, training, equipment, etc.

I drive over 150 miles roundtrip just to go diving with the MRA and I find the work very rewarding.

Hello, chalk another one on the tally... I live in Norfolk, VA. Open water, almost all quarry dives @ Lake Rawlings (a large number of them though). Will hit some other spots this summer, of course.

telemonster:
Hello, chalk another one on the tally... I live in Norfolk, VA. Open water, almost all quarry dives @ Lake Rawlings (a large number of them though). Will hit some other spots this summer, of course.
Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Maybe we can do Rawlings together this summer. I have threatened to go there for a long time now.

http://www.valleyscuba-sports.com/

This trip is filling up fast and spots are limited. Sign up now if you would like to get a little warm water diving in get a break from the winter blues. The Florida Springs Trip is only days away and booking for this is taking place right now. Come dive with us. Just click on Scuba then click on Trips.

Contact Mark and I hope to see some of you there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom