Romantic Diving in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrubbo

Registered
Reaction score
My Fiancee and I are getting married in August next year, and want to have a honeymoon involving scuba. In August. From the 14th - 28th most likely. Which means hurricane season in the caribbean. Which is the only place I've dived except in the midwest and a little pacific coast diving. So I'm not sure where we should go!

The things we're looking for :
Good scuba
Exotic (Mexico doesn't count as exotic to Alison)
Non-scuba honeymoon romantic stuff to do as well.
Beaches.

We're planning on spending 2 weeks(ish) wherever we go, so there's plenty of time to get in some good scuba diving dedicated days, perhaps even a live-aboard!

Here's the rub : We both get seasick. I've barfed through a regulator before, and don't want to have to do it again. Or have Alison experience it. Gross. So ideally some place with calm waters in the time of year. It doesn't have to be glass, but rougher waves will mean no boat diving. If it IS glass, or has lots of great calm areas to dive even if the weather is rough, a liveaboard is an option. (An option I'd love!)

I've not been to the pacific isles, but it seems like they might be a better bet that the caribbean in August. Aruba/Curaco/etc is our 'fall back' dive area. I figure hanging out on Aruba for the honeymoony stuff and going to the other islands for a couple of scuba days would be a good plan as it's as far off the hurricane path as possible. But if there is a better place to go in August, I'd totally love doing it. Since we've got the two weeks, we can go to a further out destination. Also, we wouldn't mind island hopping and spending time on the 'touristy' island for the romance stuff and going out of the way to a smaller island for the fun scuba action.

Experience wise : I'm just your average diver. I've done Caymans and Bahamas, and some diving in Monterey, CA, as well as a bunch of lake diving. Alison is the enthusiastic beginner. (She did OW/AOW over the last month and has already started buying all her own gear so we can dive together any time we want!)

So... any of you old salts have suggestions?

Go with Bonaire. that is a great place for diving. and really not many worries regarding hurricanes.

That is sort of the 'back-up' plan. From what I read, Bonaire has lots of great beach diving. No boats needed! :)

If we go there, definately going to get a "dive all you want" package and spend a lot of time figuring minimal surface intervals.

Don't discount Curacao. Besides being below the Hurricane Belt, it's awsome diving, and there is really a lot to do on the island. My Finance and I went there a few years ago (stayed at the Breezes), and it was probably one of our most memorable vacations. We have been all over the caribbean also. Curacao has some really neat hidden beaches. All you have to do is rent a car and drive to the other side of the island. You will not be disappointed, especially with Knip beach (it looks like something out of a movie). The diving there is great, although not known for shore dives like Bonaire. Theres a nice shipwreck in front of the Amstel brewery, Superior Producer I think is the name of the wreck. Please look into Curacao further, I assure you will have an awsome honeymoon.

FIJI!!!! Water is a little cooler, but I can't think of a nicer spot. Look at www.matangiisland.com for one suggestion. It is next to Taveuni, and the place is great. Informal, friendly, great diving, snorkeling, kayaking, waterfall visit, private beach picnic, local villiage visit with kava ceremony, only 16 bures (cottages). Incredible food. When we were there, there was one honeymooning couple and another who had their wedding there.

The other suggestion would be Heron Island in the Great Barrier reef. A little less to do, but also small, private, and beautiful.

I have a problem with Aruba and romantic in the same breath. You won,t have much time alone on a live aboard.

Forbes used to rent its island in Fiji.
If you got two weeks- how about Austalia/New Zealand?

Bonaire is a real good choice depending on what your topside "romantic" requirements are.

The possible problem with Australia/NZ at that time of year is that it's winter down there. I'd love to go there otherwise, though. (Hi! I'm said fiancee!)

Well so you can take boats into consideration...natural ginger capsules are a natural remedy. Take them a couple of days prior to any boat trip; just as you would dramamine. The benifit od ginger is that it will not make you drowsy. Finally if you can stand the taste take some fresh sliced ginger with you all to chew.

Bonaire or Fiji!

divingdoc -- I've tried ginger in all it's forms; it's actually a medical thing that resulted in me re: equilibrium after I had some issues with thyroid disease. So, that's not really an option, unfortunately :(

Back
Top Bottom