Royal Caribbean and Bermuda Diving - Quick report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

averagediver

Registered
Reaction score
This was both our first cruise and our first visit to Bermuda. While I can't say enough about Royal Caribbean, there isn't much to say about diving in Bermuda or Dive Bermuda from this experience.

Everything about RC was 100%. Food, service, entertainment, activities was great. We sailed from Baltimore which meant we had a day and a half cruise coming and going. Very nice and relaxing - napped a lot, read a lot and decompressed from everyday life. We arrived in the afternoon on Bermuda and just had a look around. Took a bus to Hamilton from the Royal Dockyard and then the ferry back. On our second day we planned 3 dives with Dive Bermuda, which we arranged ourselves before the trip began. We took a taxi to and from the ship to the dive operator. With tip $30 each way. Very nice way to see more of Bermuda. The dive operator is at the Hotel Fairmont. Upon arrival, we learned that the afternoon dive wouldn't be happening, because of low vis and surge at the planned dive site and the dive boat would be making a 50 minute run for our morning 2 dives. OK, just 2 dives. The people at the dive shop were nice.

OK, the dive part of the report. (Disclaimer, I've been a diver for close to 30 years and have been in the water all over the world). This was the first time in my diving life that I had to swim out to the boat - that's OK and I'm not complaining, but just a first. Just a bit of a wade and a few strokes and you're on the boat. Maybe 100 yards or so. The crew does take your gear out to the boat in a kayak. Like mentioned above it was about a 50 minute boat ride.

Dive #1 - "The Darlington" - Scattered debris on the bottom at about 32 feet. Sept 2012 Water temp 82 - Vis about 80 feet. Fairly nice corals and a significant amount of Brain Coral. Fish life - DISMAL! I like to shoot video and there really wasn't anything to shoot. A few Snapper and one or two other species but that was just about it. 55 minute dive.

Dive #2 - not too far from the Darlington. The captain of the boat was all excited that here was a new un-found wreck and we were going exploring ! There was absolutly NOTHING to explore ! Just about the same dive profile as above and just about as non-exciting. There is so little fish life. I truthfully think, it was a short distance, get us in and out of the water and back to the dive shop ASAP.

There were 6 divers on the boat in total and from what I could tell all were experienced. Taking us to two very shallow and very boring dives was really inexcusable. We had 6 divers and 3 dive masters in 2 dives that average 25 - 30 feet. My "divemaster" queried me about my PSI so often it became quite annoying. Even after 2 55 - 60 minute dives, I still came up with more than 1200 psi. The DM started herding us to the surface at 45 - 40 minutes - totally uncalled for.

While Bermuda is a beautiful island with many wonderful attractions - I would never return there for a diving vacation. Thank goodness it's off to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman in November.

I would cruise again, maybe to Alaska for sightseeing only. But I seriously doubt if I would ever combine diving and cruising again.

you should have done your research before going.. there isn't much sealife in bermuda's waters it is more about the wrecks and there aren't many dives deeper than 60ft here. Unless you are using a rebreather which no commercial shop offers to tourists without very special arrangements. Glad you enjoyed your trip, dive bermuda is probably the best operator on the island.

for anyone interested Blue Water Divers has pretty good guides for the wrecks and reefs

The Ultimate Bermuda Shipwreck Guide | Blue Water Divers & Watersports (Bermuda)

The Ultimate Bermuda Reef Guide | Blue Water Divers & Watersports (Bermuda)

like njcfm said the majority of sites are shallow 60 ft max, Xing Da is a 100-110 ft dive

we are currently in Bermuda, second time this year, and are booked for 4 days of diving, once back home i will post a report and pictures

OK, the dive part of the report. (Disclaimer, I've been a diver for close to 30 years and have been in the water all over the world). This was the first time in my diving life that I had to swim out to the boat - that's OK and I'm not complaining, but just a first. Just a bit of a wade and a few strokes and you're on the boat. Maybe 100 yards or so. The crew does take your gear out to the boat in a kayak. Like mentioned above it was about a 50 minute boat ride.

FYI,(according to the Dive Bermuda crew) the reason for the swim/wade out to the boat is that the depth/tides/draft of the boat made using a dock impractical/impossible/dangerous-given the proximity to the bathing areas. In fact, there used to be a dock there, but hurricane damage and the legal people from the hotel contributed to its removal.

Your experience truly was unfortunate. Bermuda has some pretty cool diving. It is shallow, hence all the wrecks. We did a lot of dives along the North Rock shoals.

IMG_1346.jpgIMG_1349.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1363.jpgIMG_1370.jpg

FYI,(according to the Dive Bermuda crew) the reason for the swim/wade out to the boat is that the depth/tides/draft of the boat made using a dock impractical/impossible/dangerous-given the proximity to the bathing areas. In fact, there used to be a dock there, but hurricane damage and the legal people from the hotel contributed to its removal.

Oh, I wasn't bothered - not a complaint just just a comment. It caught me by surprise. I know people pay a lot to vacation and swim there,

Last edited:
actually if you do a bit of research you don't have to pay a lot
we've rented a studio with full kitchen plus flights ended up costing us for two what we would have paid for one at the cheapest resort, Grotto Bay
we are so happy with this place we plan to come back many more times to dive all the sites, its in a great location too

We went to Bermuda with a 3 day port. 1st day, we walked from the pier to the shop (a long walk, found out there were no sidewalk and the much of the road is exactly 2 lanes wide). Se did 2 days of diving there, visibility was around 20-30ft, and the guide was busy certifying some people so me and my wife basically swam around looking at the wrecks.

The wrecks here were old historic wrecks instead of the recent or intentionally sunk ones, so frequently you don't have the whole ship, but just spattering parts of it, and with that low a visibility, we had trouble finding scattered sections of the ship.

With the shallow dives, you don't use much air, but there is not that much to look at on the few wrecks I went to, and without critters hiding inside holes, you run out of things to see after a while.

Xing Da, Hermes and Sea Venture were intentionally sunk and they are intact, we did the last two and was great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom