rubber better then neo or trilam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RCH

Reaction score
hi,
I just started a new job and need a drysuit. Most of the guys use neo suits, but I was wondering, is neo or trilam more abbrasion resistent Rubber. The reason I ask is that I got a great price for a viking rubber suit from BOB, but I need a suit that can stand up to sliding down rocky hills to get into the water and moving around metal frames. Most of the guys don't like vikings for the price. The abilty to fix the suit quick doesn't help me because I can't stop working to patch anyway.

thanks for all your help :crafty:

You may not be able to stop and patch, but does Duct tape stick to wet neoprene? (vs drying rubber with a rag and slapping on some tape as a very temp fix)

RCH:
hi,
I just started a new job and need a drysuit. Most of the guys use neo suits, but I was wondering, is neo or trilam more abbrasion resistent Rubber. The reason I ask is that I got a great price for a viking rubber suit from BOB, but I need a suit that can stand up to sliding down rocky hills to get into the water and moving around metal frames. Most of the guys don't like vikings for the price. The abilty to fix the suit quick doesn't help me because I can't stop working to patch anyway.

thanks for all your help :crafty:

My personal experience is that compressed neoprene is more abuse resistant than trilaminate. I suspect rubber would become like a teabag (lots of little holes) on short order if you're moving metal objects and sliding on rocks, but that's just a guess.

R..

Carhart bib overalls are your friend! (and your suit's friend, too)
A little chafing gear goes a long ways towards keeping your suit healthy & happy.

Trilams are out of the question in a commercial environment because one good dose of petroleum contamination can mess them up to the point of delaminating.
Crushed neoprene is tough as heck but takes days to dry, the guys I know that dive them have several. It's no fun crawling into a soggy suit knowing you're going to be in the thing for another 11 hours.

Vulcanized rubber is your best bet, I used to spend more hours in my Viking every day than in my motel room.

What Bob said. I owned a Viking Sport, and its pretty tough.

Do yourself a favor, though, and make yourself a suit dryer. Pop your suit onto it as soon as you can, you can get as creative as you like for accessories (gloves, hood, etc.) as you want, and make a second one for undergarments depending on the water temps, what you're using, etc. A few hours later your stuff is dry and aired out; lube your zipper and powder your seals and you're good to go.

Inspiration here:
http://www.atlanticunderwater.com/equipment/dryer.shtml

YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom