Run over by a local diveboat: Scubatyme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jriderski:
...Yes, your right on target with your assessment of Gary. When I took my O/W class, one of the things I learned was Gary's lack of safety. Somethings never change...
Joe

I did two dives off of Scubatyme a few weeks ago as part of my OW certification class - the day before we were on another boat run by a different operator. I was very happy with the service that Scubatyme provided and never felt rushed. Their (Gary and Brian) service was far better than the crew on the other boat provided. I obviously can't comment on their operations in general, but I would not hesitate to use them again (if I get lucky enough to get back to FL to go diving - it's 25 degrees here right now).

YMMV,

Jackie Cooper

Hoyden:
I did two dives off of Scubatyme a few weeks ago as part of my OW certification class....SNIP... I was very happy with the service that Scubatyme provided and never felt rushed.
Gary is no slouch - I'm sure he knows what he's doing. If his attitude and courtesy has improved, great! There are degress of safety, and IMO diving with any of the local operators is a no-brainer... Walter's caution not to take "easy" diving too lightly was well taken but the safety record off the coast here is exceptional.

That said, you have to dive locally here a while to get the flavors of all the operators. Anybody can have a bad day, and I've had "bad" days on other local boats. I've found personally for me that Scubatyme has had more bad days than the others, however, and the negativity coming from the skipper has been fairly consistent over the last couple of years.

Maybe it's telling that when I think of the other operators I think about them in terms of the bad dives being the exception... with Scubatyme (when Gary is driving), I tend to think it's an exception when I have a completely pleasant trip with them.

Mike, I'm glad to know you and Joe are ok. I'm glad your dive experience is strong enough that you were able to handle the matter as safely in water, as professioanally as you've handled it here. Perhaps it was your overall attitude that made Gary see the light and change, if in fact he has, or remind him his boat is not the only one in the water. I hope this situation never repeats itself and you enjoy many more diveyak dives.

my company sent 16 high school kids to florida to dive for a enviromental project and we spent the whole week with Gary and Brian, made 20 dives in 4 days with them they were nothing but splinded in their service, while i havnt dived with them but that one time i would not hesitate to use them or recomend them to anyone anytime. while different people have different perceptions i personally saw gary putting his boat inbetween otehr boats not heading the dive flag and his divers in the water. so each to his own but i can do nothing but praise him and Brian for their excellent service.

I have dived with Gary and Brian 20-30 times in the last 2 years and while I would say that he may have been in error on the day in question I stand behind them as running one of the best dive charters in the area that also attracts some of the best recreational divers. BAR NONE!

There are very few meatheads that dive with them and it may very well be that they have less tolerance for divers who think they know what they are doing but are dangerous to themselves and others on the boat than the cattleboats that let idiots be idiots (their neighbors in the next boat berth, for example). I have never seen them being disrespectful of beginners. When I was a beginner I got a tremendous amount of support and knowledge from those guys.

On one particular time on a wreck dive when I had only about 10 dives under my belt, I did a boneheaded thing and ended up losing my buddy and drifted off the wreck. I did a free ascent and ended up adrift about 1/2+ a mile from the wreck and their boat. I got a little bit of a lashing from Gary, but I deserved it and am a better diver for it. You can bet I will never dive without a safety sausage again and be more mindful of the current! That is the kind of charter they run. It is run for divers who ARE ALWAYS LEARNING and can take a little aggressive feedback when they make boneheaded move. That makes them a safe operation because divers who do dumb things and don't want feedback congregate to their neighbor's operation.

steve70638:
I have dived with Gary and Brian 20-30 times in the last 2 years and while I would say that he may have been in error on the day in question I stand behind them as running one of the best dive charters in the area that also attracts some of the best recreational divers. BAR NONE!

If you really wanted to support them, why not keep quiet and let this die instead of dredging up a thread from a year ago? Considering the events of today (Wilma, in case you haven't heard), I'd be more concerned about their personal well-being than their reputation.

I do hope all of the operators and divers of S. FL are safe and secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom