Running with Scissors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no qualms about solo diving.... but I have no idea how any (short) course or assessment could really identify a person's capacity or suitability for safe solo diving.

Yes! By teaching only share air, buddy breathing (optional) and CESA instead of including self-reliance, independence and problem solving we are saying to students “this is the way to handle a problem”.
OK ... I just don't remember it as being so narrow that it did not include more .. I may be remembering it wrong as well

I'm going to ask my instructor how much he teaches self reliance

OK ... I just don't remember it as being so narrow that it did not include more .. I may be remembering it wrong as well.

In a three day course, as has been noted, there isn't much time for frills. If you just hit the 'don't miss these' items shown as bullets in the PADI standard, then it is that narrow but you have met all the PADI requirements. From a 'time available' standpoint many instructors do that.

So long as there is the option of a three day course, prospective new divers aren't going to pony up the bucks for a more extensive course, or at least that has been my experience.

I think we have to give new divers the tools to continue learning on their own after OW traing and I think those tools need to include problem solving and self-reliance. It has to be introduced to them before they will understand it, consider it and practice it. They do not need to be expert in their use by the end of the OW course but they need to know the tools exist.

On the OW course... self-reliance in terms of redundant air sources (other than buddy) gets no more than a brief mention.

The first courses that really introduce it are the wreck and deep courses, but even then, they don't really provide any skill development on it.

The nearest (only) skill is the 'breath from an emergency air source for x minutes' task in the Deep Speciality Course.... and even then, this is commonly just taught using a 'drop bottle' rather than a pony/stage. Even then, that task is covered in the setting of conducting 'emergency decompression', rather than an emergency ascent.

IMHO, air redundancy should be stressed much more highly within the PADI system...and should be mandatory for >30m diving.

....and, no, 'Spare Air' does not count as air redundancy :wink:

I have no qualms about solo diving.... but I have no idea how any (short) course or assessment could really identify a person's capacity or suitability for safe solo diving.

This isn't about solo diving, it's about teaching more self-reliance in the buddy system as taugh in the open water classes.

Edit: Which I see you slipped in above while I was typing this... :)

Ok, I agree on not time enough to teach anything in a three day course ... mine was much longer
An example of how my instructor teaches can be found here in my review of my drysuit course ... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/260824-padi-dry-suit-class.html

A rule of thumb depth\air could be taught .. generally not deeper than the CF of air on your back and start ascent at depthx10PSI of air + 300 psi

I think I was at about 450 dives.... and using doubles for a long while, before I was confident and ready for solo diving.

That would be hard (or very expensive) to replicate in a training course!

I think I was at about 450 dives.... and using doubles for a long while, before I was confident and ready for solo diving.

But for anyone who'd like to take the course, I'll be glad to teach it! Only $50,000 US and 5 days a week/52 weeks! :rofl3:

personally .. I think that I might not ever have the mental attitude necessary for SOLO
Thats one of the reasons that taking Rescue so early was a good one for me

I was forced into it...really....

Nobody else would join me for my 4am dips to 70m, on the hunch that the site would have some tiger sharks cruising past at that hour...

...ummm, they were right...there was no sharks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom