Rust on knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm new to diving and I recently got a Wenoka dive knife. When I take it apart after a dive to clean and dry it I noticed some rust. I'm guessing that means I need to put some oil on it? Any advice on how I should store and clean this stainless steel so it won't rust? :snorkel:

passion diver:
I'm new to diving and I recently got a Wenoka dive knife. When I take it apart after a dive to clean and dry it I noticed some rust. I'm guessing that means I need to put some oil on it? Any advice on how I should store and clean this stainless steel so it won't rust? :snorkel:

Generally, after a dive I will disassemble the knife and rinse it with fresh water. I don't trust the normal dip tubs most dive boats provide. Then I will soak it for a while in fresh water in the bathtub. The length of time for the soak depends on when I need to use the knife again. Then I dry the knife off with a towel and let it air dry before storage. After 10 years I never had a problem with rust on a Wenoka knife.

I don't bother to oil it, but if you do I would recommend spraying wd-40 on a rag and wiping down the blade and maybe spaying some in the gap where the tank banger and the handle meet. In cheaper dive knives I have had it rust there. You may want store the knife in a zip-lock bag away from your other gear because oil and divegear do not mix well.

To be honest I don't know how to clean rust if it exists. I tried naval jelly once and although it removed the rust it also discolored the blade.

I keep my knife covered in vaseline - really thick smears. Ive had the same stuff on it now for 8 months and still no rust. I never actually use the knife so it doesnt scrape off and protects it. If i do use it, i'll simple smear more on after washing it.

Knife maintenance is very simple.
1. After each dive rinse the knife in lukewarm fresh water for a few minutes, then dry it with a (paper) towel.
2. After each series of dives remove any rust with an SOS pad, rinse and dry the knife. Then coat it thinly with vaseline.
It will last a lifetime.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try the dip tank and the zip-top baggie. See how that works... if it needs the WD-40, I'll use that as an option as well.

Thanks for the tips on how to keep rust off the knives.

I ended up with quite a bit of rust on mine and I was able to remove all of the rust with CLR. It was easy to do and worked well.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep rust off in the future.

String:
I keep my knife covered in vaseline - really thick smears. Ive had the same stuff on it now for 8 months and still no rust.

I hope that Vaseline does not come in contact with any of the rubber components of your dive gear. "Vaseline" is a PETROLEUM product.

String:
I never actually use the knife so it doesnt scrape off and protects it.

If you never actually USE the knife, are you sure it will cut?

Vaseline has never corroded anything of my equipment or anybody else that i know and they all use it. I know very well its a petroleum product but that doesnt corrode the BC, fins, regulator or anything else. Outside chance it may at one point come into contact with dry suit seals but thats a slim chance and even then from what ive seen it wont corrode.

As for will it cut - i periodically check its still sharp when doing equipment maintenance. Thats good enough for me.

String:
Vaseline has never corroded anything of my equipment or anybody else that i know and they all use it. I know very well its a petroleum product but that doesnt corrode the BC, fins, regulator or anything else. Outside chance it may at one point come into contact with dry suit seals but thats a slim chance and even then from what ive seen it wont corrode.

As for will it cut - i periodically check its still sharp when doing equipment maintenance. Thats good enough for me.
Vasaline will attack anything made of Latex. I won't eat it quickly, but could make it fail quicker.
I'm also not real sure what effect it would have on the evironment since it's not water soluable. If sun screen isn't good for the reef, Vasaline sure isn't.
Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom