?'s on first dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba-sass

Wreckmaniac Extrordinaire
Reaction score
Greetings!
I've been lurking for a few days, and am ready to show myself with (of course) a question or two. My partner and I just completed OW in October here in chilly CT-USA. Due to choppy conditions on OW weekend, we dove in Lakes. Water Temps 56 and 44 on Sat / Sun respectively. One of our DM's jokingly whined about wanting his Dry Suit, but he stuck it out with us.

Let me just say - WE LOVE THIS SPORT!!!! :bounce:

We're both in our late 30's, and decided on reasonably short notice that this would be fun to try. Hence the late fall OW class - silly us! Our motivation was two planned vacations in the near future - Carribean in December (2 short weeks away!) and Tahiti in March 2002 (for our 20th Anniversary!!!!!)

I'll have lots of Tahiti questions later on, but my immediate concern is this. We haven't yet been in salt water, and I'd like a "refresher" dive of some sort on our first day in warm waters. We're booked on The Infinity, a Celebrity ship, departing San Juan on December 15th. We'll actually arrive in San Juan on the 14th at about 2:00PM, and can board ship the next day between 2:00 and 9:00 PM. I figure we have plenty of time for a dive that morning.

Any suggestions for a good dive outfit in or near San Juan? I know it's not a stellar dive location, but we just want to get comfortable in the water. For now, I would define "good" as safe, patient with real newbies.

During the cruise, we'll probably go for all the dives offered, which are in St. Croix, Barbados, Antigua and St. Thomas.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer. And I promise a trip report when we return! (Unless I'm arrested for murdering my sister or b-in-law, with whom we're traveling for the first time!)

Looking forward to getting wet....

Gee scuba-sass;

It's gonna be hard. I mean moving fro 3/2 wet suits 28 lbs of lead and ice cream headaches to move into Carib diving

Did I tell you I felt sorry for you.

I mean after doing some good cold low-viz diving, you are gonna be plunged into warm, 3mm shorty, High viz, pretty fish, high bouyancy diving. It's gonna be tough - but work through it OK?

Slightly more seriously; although I can't recommend dive people down there - I can tell you that you are gonna love it!! It is alot easier and a lot less stressfull than cold water diving up here.

Just do the stuff that people will tell you on this board - take it at a slow, comfortable pace. Enjoy yourself. Have fun. Then have more fun! Dive real safe!

Too bad you'll have to put up with all of that warm water!

Welcome from Texas! And welcome to the addiction of another world :D

I don't know anything about San Juan so I can't help you there. Whatever dive operation you end up with, just be sure to tell them that it will be your first salt water dives. Being on such a tight schedule, you may not be able to do a check out dive but it won't hurt to ask.

I went to the link www.Scubadirectory.com and typed in San Juan and came up 19 hits, hope this helps

I would check out a dive shop in the area do a morning dive to get your bouyancy close, there will be a change.

I went on a cruise in Feb of 2001, and dove some of the spots you mentioned in your itinerary. The only thing I can say is: 72F water isn't as warm as it sounds! On just about every dive, everyone in 3 mil shorties had goosebumps (some of the ladies were even shivering after the dives), while a few of the dive guides were wearing full farmer johns.

When in Rome...

Thanks for the great advice, keep it coming!

I checked out Scuba Directory - great resource. I wonder when businesses in general and dive shops in particular will realize the true benefits of being web-connected. Using that resource, I'm much more likely to contact one of the shops that has a web-site, and I can reach via e-mail.

I also really appreciate the wet suit advice. We purchased BC's and Regs, but decided to rent suits our first few times. Being in New England it's kind of a toss-up - buy the suit you'll wear around here, or buy the suit for the delightful areas you want to travel to? Ahhh, to be independently wealthy....

Remember, SCUBA is a credit-card intensive sport!

CheeseWhiz is right, a 3mm shorty for 72 degree water is insufficient.

There’s a big difference in between being able to tolerate the cold and being warm or even between being “comfortable” and being warm. Most wetsuit divers discover the difference when they move to a dry suit, look back and think, “I was FREEZING on those wetsuit dives!”

On top of this I’m a thermal wimp, but this is what I use:

I dive 72-74 degree water often, and I use a one-piece Henderson 7/5 Gold Core jumpsuit.

In Cozumel I dive in a full polartec suit during the day, and a Henderson 3/2 Black Maxx for the night dives (there’s a large psychological component to being cold, and one of the biggies is if it’s dark, your body thinks it should be cold).

Warmth is one of the big three when it comes to air consumption (warmth, trim and confidence) and staying warm, not just being comfortable or tolerating the cold can extend your dives considerably and increase your enjoyment of them as well.

Roak

Take my word for it, if you did your training and check out dives in cold water, warm water will not be a problem. The fact that it is salt vs. fresh won't be an issue. In the warm water you won't be wearing nearly as much weight or wetsuit so it will be a lot different. Going to the Carib is soooo much easier than cold water diving. Just relax, enjoy the warm water and great vis. You will be amazed at how much easier it is.

Scott:jester:

Many operators will "require" you to do a "check out" dive prior to diving the "tougher" dives. They usually do this on the first day of diving so as to get to know your skill/comfort level and you get the opportunity to check out your equipment.

Trust me, it's an easy transition: cold water diving to carribean diving. It's gonna be rough that first dive, but I'm sure you're a quick study. I am in agreement with OD, I feel really sorry for you :)

Sounds like the waters are a bit warmer in Texas.....need to get there again :D

As far as temps are concerned.....
we did a couple of dives in Rocky Point Mexico over the Thanksgiving weekend. Water temps was 72-73. I dove in a full 3/2 and was comfortable. I did start to get a little cool at the end of the dive, but not anywhere near cold. I am not very cold tolerant. When the air temp hits 65-70 I'm looking for my sweater. In late spring I am perfectly comfortable with an air temp of 85-95. When everyone else is cranking on the air conditioning, I'm basking in the warmth :D. This might give you an idea of what you'll need. If you live in CT and don't don a coat or sweater until the temp plummets to 60 degrees or lower :cold: (Brrrrrrrrrrrrr) you should be fine in a full 3 mil. On the other hand, I have also dove in 72 degree water in a 7mil farmer john 2 piece and was perfectly comfortable, no overheating. A 5 mil might be a nice compromise, easier to get in and out of, and a lot more flexible than a 7 mil.

Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom