Saanich Inlet sites w/ buoys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can someone post a list of the sites in Saanich Inlet that have mooring buoys at them? I am coming up there in April for some sponge diving and don't want to anchor on delicate stuff. Just wanting to know what our buoyed site options are...

Thanks!

Can someone post a list of the sites in Saanich Inlet that have mooring buoys at them? I am coming up there in April for some sponge diving and don't want to anchor on delicate stuff. Just wanting to know what our buoyed site options are...

Thanks!

Senanus Island (lots of sponges here 100' to 135')
McCurdy Pt (some sponges 100 to 180')
Christmas PT (some sponges at around 100')
The White Lady (no Cloud sponges here)

These 4 locations have Buoy, I know a couple of different spot where there is a lot of more sponge but they don't have buoy, secret spot where you need a local guide like me:D and a set of double or RB.

Cheers

Al

Super thanks! We're good to 170ft so sounds like we got options. The book I have describes cloud sponges at the navigation marker on the east side south of Brentwood bay maybe 3-4 miles, is that not the case? Supposedly to the SE there's a small canyon with sponges?? I thought that was "white lady" no? When I dove it we were doing the 2nd dive of the day and kept it kinda shallow.

On the East side between MacKenzie Bight and the White there is some sponges, check Mark website under Secret spot. (no buoy at this location)

index

You can also check Xmas PT and Senanus Island on his site.

We were planning to install a buoy there but we never did. The White lady has a buoy but I never found any sponge there, but then again I have only done about 5 dives a that location. About a month ago we did a dive at 150ft for 50 minutes between McCurdy PT and the old Cement factory for about 25 strait minutes we swam through some of the nicest sponges in the inlet. That on SW side of the inlet.

I know theres no sponges but is there still a bouy on Wain Rock. I thought Jonathan put one there a few years ago.

No, there's nothing there. The Sunday Divers dive club is going to set some mooring buoys in the near future at various locations, that might be a great place to start.

No, there's nothing there. The Sunday Divers dive club is going to set some mooring buoys in the near future at various locations, that might be a great place to start.

There used to be one there before, the concrete block is north of Wain Rock if you can find it it should be easy to install a new mooring buoy.

Al

Thanks, that will make things a little easier. We'll put one on it within the next week or so. Do you know of any others with the block in place but no floats? Canadian Reef Structures will donate mooring buoys for us to install.

Back
Top Bottom