Saba January 2017 - Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading to Saba in January 2017 for 8 nights and it will be our first trip to the island. We are renting a villa and diving with Sea Saba. Are there any particular dive sites we shouldn't miss (pending sea conditions)? Any restaurant recommendations or other trip tips?

If conditions are good, ask to do some of the sites on the windward side of the island. Core Gut is a fantastic site. Other sites that are excellent are Man O'War Shoals, Diamond Rock, and any of the Tent Reef sites. Plan on doing some hiking. There are several great trails on the island, and you can get up-to-date information at the trail shop across from Sea Saba's office.

For restaurants, try Brigadoon and Chez Bubba for slightly upscale dining, Swinging Doors for barbecue, and Scout's for curry goat. Tropics has really nice breakfasts and the Hideaway, a fairly new place, has some interesting specials. And the Busy Bee for fresh bread, pastries, and coffee.

LarryHinDC has pretty much covered the bases for Saba. Our group stayed at Scout's Place several years ago and the meals were very good.

Sea Saba is great for helping organizing where you eat and what to do. As you are leaving for your dive, they will help with dining options. Having 8 days, you will probably be able to eat at all of the restaurants. We ate breakfast at Bizzy B most mornings. They made extra chocolate croissants for us each morning. We ate often at the Sea Witch for beer and pizza. We also ate at the Deep End at Fort Bay and watched the boats for a while. Dove in the morning and caught the afternoon trip back.

Brigadoon has great meals. I think it is Tuesday, they do an eco presentation with Sea Saba. Catch it, it is worth it. Excellent Prime Rib!

Make sure to climb Mt Scenery - the view is excellent if the clouds are not obscuring it. Also make sure to ride in front of the Twin Otter for the landing at Saba. It is an experience worth it alone. Look up you tube videos for the landing.

We loved the place. Great people and island. We never felt like a tourist. I also do not think we locked our doors most of the time.

I second Man 'o' War and most of the others. Sea Saba can work with you to try to minimize multiple diving on the same location. Man 'o' War was our favorite.

Most of my pictures in my profile are from Saba. Lynn and John are great people.

We used Sea Saba when we visited the island and they did a good job, there were a couple of screw ups but I was very pleased with how they handled.

We stayed (on island) at a place called The Cottage Club and were happy with it - no frills.

We have also done the Explorer Venture II liveaboard there and it is a good value for the price point.

Each morning before diving Sea Saba will ask you about dinner and making reservations - use this!!!!
Because the island is small some restaurants won't open for dinner is there are no reservations. Our favorite meal was in the restaurant attached to Scouts Place - the red snapper was top shelf!

We ate often at the Sea Witch for beer and pizza.
The Sea Witch recently changed owners and is now called the Long Haul. We haven't been to Saba since the change in ownership so we don't have any first-hand reports, but I believe lionfish is on the new menu!

Brigadoon has great meals. I think it is Tuesday, they do an eco presentation with Sea Saba. Catch it, it is worth it. Excellent Prime Rib!

The Sea Saba presentation is on Monday nights, but I agree it is a great orientation to Saba, both above and below water.

All good information - thanks everyone! We will definitely utilize the reservation option with Sea Saba and look into the eco presentation. My husband will be very happy to hear a recommendation for a beer and pizza place (which hopefully they still have with it being the Long Haul now) and I am very happy with the menu change because I love lionfish! I'm keeping a running list of the dive site recommendations. We can't wait to get there!

Has anyone done a night dive there? How was it? I have only done a shore entry night dive and I think the rest of my group wants to do a night dive while we're on Saba so the boat entry night dive will be new for us.

Back
Top Bottom