SAC differences between AI computer and Manual Calculations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how this devolved into "gotta use metric". We were discussing SAC and RMV. Use whatever units you like. I'm "bilingual" with respect to units and will converse with you in your native tongue if you aren't. 🍻
I don't think anyone said "gota use metric." The beginning of the side track was @MarkA 's comment that:
Most times metric is more useful.

Time to join the rest of the world and go metric.
The first part is objectively true for anyone starting from scratch, and for anyone mentally flexible enough to be "bilingual." Once you've invested enough effort in another system, it may no longer be true.

The second part is sadly not true given the number of people who believe that the fact that the USD is the world's reserve currency has anything to do with the relative value of a unit system. I'm not sure the US will ever reach the "Time to join the rest of the world and go metric."

Even the metric people didn't switch to a metric system for units of time, so they shouldn't be too judgemental of those who don't go metric for the rest(pointing at myself here).

I raised my kids "bilingual" so they won't be handicapped by their country of origin. Actually, I think it gives them an advantage over the metric only kids as well.

As for the magic number 11.1 liters, and 2.6 cuft/100psi :
One makes sense as the standard unit of volume, which is also volume per standard unit pressure, and is the well known rating for the tank.
the other is arbitrary "factor" of volume per not standard (and kinda almost metric like) pressure, and is not a standard tank rating so needs to be precalculated. To use it we have to convert the standard units of pressure to a not standard unit (admittedly easy), and then we do the depth compensation by using a third unit of pressure.

Probably shouldn’t have said “time to go metric”

interesting to see where the errors were.
Calculation of contents of cylinder. Main
80cuft cylinder only holding 77.4cuft at rated pressure. Secondary

Also interesting. units used for pressure within the same calculation
PSI, ATM, feet.
BAR, meter.
Where the SI unit is Pascal.

P.S. My native language was Imperial and changed to metric once I started work at an engineering company.

Metric is superior in every way. Those that are in the imperial camp, they are so just because they are too proud to admit that what the rest of the world is right. I have lived a little over half of my life in the imperial units leader and the rest was in the metric world, metric is superior.

interesting to see where the errors were.
Calculation of contents of cylinder. Main
80cuft cylinder only holding 77.4cuft at rated pressure. Secondary
Nope. The OPs main error was forgetting to adjust for surface-equivalent depth..

Metric is superior in every way.
It depends on what the topic is. Atmospheres pressure make much more sense in a diving context than Pascals.

Atmospheres pressure make much more sense in a diving context than Pascals.

Is "Atmospheres" imperial or actually "neutral"?

Is "Atmospheres" imperial or actually "neutral"?
Atmospheres is not a metric unit. if you are actually on the metric system, which is "superior in every way," then you don't get to use non-metric units. However, I'll bet you buy litre bottles of wine, no? Litre is not a metric unit. do you worry about eating too many calories? Calorie is not a metric unit. Was your temperature outside today 32 deg Celsius? Celsius is not a metric unit. Etc.

I'll bet you buy litre bottles of wine, no?

No, I don't. I am not an alcoholic or consume any of it at all.

Litre is not a metric unit.

do you worry about eating too many calories? Calorie is not a metric unit.
No, I don't.

Was your temperature outside today 32 deg Celsius? Celsius is not a metric unit. Etc.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom