SAC Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there a magical sac calculator out there for us math impared? my last dive dive #4 in my diving career i dove a aluminum 100 with a starting pressure of 3400 psi and dove to 31 ft in 72ish water. i came up with 500 psi after 51 miunites of constant swimming.(no resting) i am 6'1" and 230lbs.

You need to know your average depth. Also what is the service pressure of the tank? I'm assuming it was 100 cu ft at 3000psi??
IF the average depth was 30 feet (most likely it was less)

Average pressure was 30/33 +1 = 1.91 ATM

Gas used 3400-500/3000 *100 = 96.7 cu ft

Time was 51 minutes

At 1 ATM you would have used a total of 1/1.91 * 96.7 = 50.6 cu ft in 51 minutes

Which is 50.6/51 = 1.0 cu ft per minute on the surface. So your SAC was 1.0

is there a magical sac calculator out there for us math impared? my last dive dive #4 in my diving career i dove a aluminum 100 with a starting pressure of 3400 psi and dove to 31 ft in 72ish water. i came up with 500 psi after 51 miunites of constant swimming.(no resting) i am 6'1" and 230lbs.

If you want a result that's precise and accurate enough to be of use afterwards, no.

I have been calculating my SAC rate on nearly every dive since I started diving nearly five years ago. Your post/question prompted me to put my data into a graph (attached). I have distinguished between "warm water" dives (with 3mm wetsuit---mostly in the Caribbean) and cold water dives (with a drysuit---in New England). I have added trend lines for each. As you can see by the scatter, as you wrote, there are many factors that influence the SAC rate. As you can also see, I got better with age (well, experience anyway).

(Reposting with attachment.)

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Your end data and my normal distribution are almost identical. As my beginning dive info was done before the invention of dive computers, and before SPG's were common, will never know where I started.

The graph that I attached (in post #57) illustrates (as we know) that there are many factors that influence SAC rates. I decided to see if I could quantify some of the many effects on my SAC rate with the data that I keep in my log (which, conveniently, is actually a spreadsheet). Factors that I wanted to try to measure the effect of (and that I had data on) were:

Experience (as measured by cumulative number of dives, as shown in the graph) and by cumulative number of dives in a given type of exposure protection (i.e., cumultive number of wetsuit dives or drysuit dives)
Diving Wet or Dry (as shown in the graph)
Minimum water temperature of the dive
Average depth of the dive
Maximum depth of the dive
Number of days since last dive (in any kind of exposure protection)
Number of days since last dive with the same kind of exposure protection (e.g., if I am analyzing drysuit dives, the number of days since my last drysuit dive).

I explain my results below (and attach a PDF file of the computer output for anyone who is interested in the details of the regression analysis).

I could not get reliable estimates for the effect of any variable listed above that is not also listed below.

What I found was:

An increase of 100 dives decreases my SAC when diving wet by about 10%. (Using just number of wet dives---instead of all dives---does not provide as good a fit to the data.)
An increase of 100 dives decreases my SAC when diving dry by about 27%. (Using just the number of dry dives---instead of all dives---does not provide as good a fit to the data.)
A decrease in the minimum temperature by 10 degrees Fahrenheit increases my SAC by about 7 percent for dry dives (but I could not get a reliable estimate for wet dives).
100 days between dives (not that I've gone that long!) increases my SAC by 12 percent for wet dives (but I could not get a reliable estimate for dry dives).

These factors combined explain only between 30% and 40% of the variation in my SAC rates, so there is more variation unexplained (i.e., unquantified) then there is explained.

Since I have never seen any estimates like this before, I do not know how reasonable they are. But the direction of all these effects makes sense to me, as does the relative magnitudes of the experience effect on wet versus dry diving. It also makes sense to me that minimum temperature affects my dry dives but not my wet ones (since all my wet dives are "warm" [i.e., range is 71-83 degrees, with an average of 78] while some of my dry dives are uncomfortably cold [38-66 degrees, with an average of 53]).

Attachments

• SAC Analysis.pdf
    10.4 KB · Views: 70
Sam1, thanks for a very interesting analysis. In addition to the variables you mentioned, there is a temperature effect on the breathing gas itself. Cold air is denser than warm air, and in theory this difference can be as large as 10%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom