Sad article on the future of coral reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's right these 3rd world types don't know their place. How dare they try to live a better life! It ain't fossil fuel, that was a mistake. Recently hydrocarbons were found on I think one of Saturn's moons. I doubt we'll be finding fossils there also. The earth has gone through many changes before we evolved and it just continues. We just think we're so powerful we can affect it more that earthquakes, volcanos, floods, storms, meteors......and on ...and on. Please were bugs.

In going back to read what I wrote I see that it came across wrong. I did not mean that we should purposely use up the fuel to 'deny' someone of a better life. Just that collectively we will all keep using fossil fuels until there is no more left and then we will start to look for other ways.
Sorry bout dat.

It's surprising to me that so many divers (i've heard similar positions on many dive boats) are dismissive of global warming... as in it's not real or has no potential impact on the planet. You would think those of us that make an effort to visually enjoy the environment would be better stewards/advocates of the very thing we love to do.

as far as a warming climate "expanding" reefs?!?! that's crazy, large reefs takes thousands of years to develop, a consistently unstable climate will absolutely not contribute to the expansion of reefs. I will agree that increasingly acidic ocean water is maybe a larger near term threat, along with over fishing, shark finning, and on and on...

No, it is clear that the earth is warming and surely we are having an impact. The debatable part is how much is the earth warming, how much of an impact are we having and is this a natural occurance that we may be contributing to or did we bring it on?

That last part is really important. I have not heard an argument that swings me to the side that we are the only contributers or even significant contributors to this event. I only believe that it is happening and yes, we could change our behavior to lower our impact... but only to a point.

In going back to read what I wrote I see that it came across wrong. I did not mean that we should purposely use up the fuel to 'deny' someone of a better life. Just that collectively we will all keep using fossil fuels until there is no more left and then we will start to look for other ways.
Sorry bout dat.

I knew what you meant I was just being obtuse. My point is I don't think we are going to run out of fuels. We keep finding more all the time and if there's hydrocarbons on other plants / moons then what makes oil ain't fossils it's somethings else. If it turns out it is fossil and there were dinosuars in outer space:D then the graveyards of today are the oil fields of tomorrow.

It's surprising to me that so many divers (i've heard similar positions on many dive boats) are dismissive of global warming... as in it's not real or has no potential impact on the planet. You would think those of us that make an effort to visually enjoy the environment would be better stewards/advocates of the very thing we love to do.

as far as a warming climate "expanding" reefs?!?! that's crazy, large reefs takes thousands of years to develop, a consistently unstable climate will absolutely not contribute to the expansion of reefs. I will agree that increasingly acidic ocean water is maybe a larger near term threat, along with over fishing, shark finning, and on and on...

I believe global warming maybe happening I just don't buy that's it's any of our doing. The earth has cooled and warmed for millions of years it's cycles. Studies of ice cores going back tens of thousands of years show how extreme the earths climate can be. The last ten thousand years have been relatively stable climate wise, again the ice cores tell us that. It's seems that made be changing. It's not your fault it's not my fault and there's is nothing we can do about it. So go diving, don't throw your garbage out the window or in the water,and enjoy life, it's to short to worry about things you have no control over.

I knew what you meant I was just being obtuse. My point is I don't think we are going to run out of fuels. We keep finding more all the time and if there's hydrocarbons on other plants / moons then what makes oil ain't fossils it's somethings else. If it turns out it is fossil and there were dinosuars in outer space:D then the graveyards of today are the oil fields of tomorrow.

True, I've heard that there was some Russian research that suggested oil fields were not created from the dino's as we currently believe but were the results of natural occuances. Soon after the research, the Russians found oil where the aurthors said it should be.

I am an educated man but know nothing of 'Geology' or any 'Ology' related to oil so I can not comment on how wacky the report was/was not.

:D

It's proven that CO2 acts as a greenhouse gas... we can chart directly the relationship between the rise in man made CO2 emissions and increaed surface temperature over the latter half of the 20th century all the way up to today.

maybe i'm being too hard on humanity but saying it's something we "have no control over" is blissful ignorance.

It's proven that CO2 acts as a greenhouse gas... we can chart directly the relationship between the rise in man made CO2 emissions and increaed surface temperature over the latter half of the 20th century all the way up to today.

maybe i'm being too hard on humanity but saying it's something we "have no control over" is blissful ignorance.

Your entitled to believe what you want. C02 is plant food. The more there is the more plants we'll have to produce O2. I'll admit to ignorance on some subjects but not this one. I've done enough reading and research to know that this CO2 scare is a scam. You don't have to believe it but you could read a little of the research that those who don't believe what you do have published.

I believe global warming maybe happening I just don't buy that's it's any of our doing.
I personally don't give a flying rat crap whether it's our doing or not. What I'm interested in is whether or not we can mitigate it. Except that it might provide some insight into what changes might be most helpful in dealing with the issue, the degree to which human activity is "to blame" is, IMHO, irrelevant.

The USA is the cleanest and most environmentally-concious, industrial (or what's left of it) country in the world. So quittcherbichin and enjoy it untill the foreign countries like Russia, India and China destroy us all.

I personally don't give a flying rat crap whether it's our doing or not. What I'm interested in is whether or not we can mitigate it. Except that it might provide some insight into what changes might be most helpful in dealing with the issue, the degree to which human activity is "to blame" is, IMHO, irrelevant.

If it's not our doing then what can we do about? I bought a 15,000 BTU AC unit. I didn't use it until almost Aug. and turned my boiler on for heat at the start of Oct. What the heck is warming?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom