safe in North Sulawesi (Indonesia)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well rob, speaking for myself, security is definitely one of the main reasons why I have not made a trip there yet. As you are in the thick of the action, so to speak, perhaps you could help allay my fears.....???

Well seaslug, with such a name you really should visit Lembehstrait. Where in the world can you find so many nudibanches? But now about the safety. I am not an over optimistic, romantic type. I used to live on the Mollucs and saw the war there. But on North Sulawesi I feel very safe. Not because here the majority is christian but because that it seems that the people have started to realize the they don not want a situation like on the Mollucs. For exemple with the Moslim Holydays christian groupes were guarding the mosques and around christmas moslims were sleeping in the churches, guarding them and sometimes even attending the mass. That is not a guarantee that it will be safe forever but but for the moment it is o.k. We never have had riots here. Even not during the fall of Suharto. And foreigners are always very welcome.

Hey Rob
Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe in August...do you have any suggestions as to the best time to go?? I read from one of the other threads that May - Sept is the optimum time but would like your "exper" opinion!
I have checked out your web site and the resort looks great and the prices seem reasonable - would you recommend booking directly with you or through an agent?? I understand that sometimes agents give better prices because they get special prices from the operators and it's up to them how much profit they make, hence the smaller their profit, the better saving a customer gets..
Also is Bunaken/Manado do-able from where you are?
Cheers
Slugging away...

Dear Seaslug,

We do not work with agents. That is why we can offer this prices and still stick to our quality. August is for sure the most busy month here. It is necessary to book in advance. September is just as nice. In Oktober sometimes the wind already starts to change from the South to the North. This gives a swell for our coast. Diving is still excellent. Only snorkelling in front of Benteng is not that nice if not impossible. In the Lembeh Strait you can dive all year through.
Hope to see you.

Rob Sinke

Oops, forgot to answer you second question. It takes two hours by car from Benteng to Manado. It is partly a very rough road. But also with excellent views when pass the Tangkoko Reserve.
People who hate bumpy roads we can drop by boat in Bitung. Than it takes 75 minutes to Manado.

Thanks for the info, Rob.
Sounds good. I was thinking of maybe August, but now you say it is the peak period, I will have to galvanize the buddies and see whether we can fix some dates.
You do not work with any agents??? Do you mean that you only advertise through the Net????? Wouldn't this limit the number of divers you would reach???
:confused:

Rob,
I've been reading raves about Manado from the Rodale site and it all sounds pretty wonderful.

I'm price sensitive, being semi-senior citizen with wife and more or less fixed income. Started with the web search and found http://www.kudalaut.com/ which leads off with something about safety.

That had not actually crossed my mind, although I'm not a totally naive traveller. We were in Bali a few years ago when there was a bit of a dustup in Jakarta.

So, here's the question - where would I go to find the actual costs of booking a week in Manado? Any tips on getting there from the west coast of the USA? I understand both Jakarta and Siingapore are linked pretty well to Denpassar, Bali. I can figure out how to get there reasonably, but what's it going to set me back for equipment (gonna rent) 2 or 3 dives a day, place to stay and food?
Thanks!
Terry

Hi Seaslug,

You are right that it limits the amount of divers that we reach. But we think that if there will be not an other international or Indonesian dissaster the word will spread. And also in the future we do not want to become a big dive operation. Now I still have time to make about ten dives a week. Sounds better then sitting in an airco office, busy managing, is it not?

Hello terrydarc,

Funny how a discussion about feeling safe or not changes into prices. It almost looks Dutch. Silk Air, the daughter of Singapore Airlines is flying Singapore-Manado several times a week. I am sorry that I can not inform you about the prices of the airplane tickets. Prices for diving, equipment rental and so on you can find on our page www.bentengresort.com More adresses you will find on minahasaraya.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom