Safe Sea: Jellies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to try it out, but have a hard time with shipping that costs almost as much as the bottle itself.

DocVikingo:

An excellent article, I had forgotten some of those tricks. I was getting stung on my upper lip, between my mask and reg. mouth piece. They blistered and broke and bled and I looked awful, not to mention the pain. Each year the outbreak became worse until I began to use vasoline to cover the area, a fresh water rinse, and a vinegar rinse on my face.

For me the extra cost is worth it.

Jellies can be fun to watch, and incredibly beautiful but boy do they sting.

Thanks, -R

reikopm:
An excellent article, I had forgotten some of those tricks. I was getting stung on my upper lip, between my mask and reg. mouth piece. They blistered and broke and bled and I looked awful, not to mention the pain. Each year the outbreak became worse until I began to use vasoline to cover the area, a fresh water rinse, and a vinegar rinse on my face.

For me the extra cost is worth it.

Jellies can be fun to watch, and incredibly beautiful but boy do they sting.

Thanks, -R

I thought I had heard that a fresh water rinse also makes the stinging cells fire?

yak:
I thought I had heard that a fresh water rinse also makes the stinging cells fire?

Correct. First aid is a saltwater rinse, do not use freshwater.

I was stung last Easter while in Coz and not knowing what to do, did everything wrong - resulting in a trip to Dr. Picolo (sp?). First off, you will know it when you are stung; it hurts. Feels like a bad wasp sting. The first thing to do is to take something like a credit card and, using it's edge, quickly scrape and lift and remaining parts of the jelly from the skin (I tried to rub it off, a big no-no). Secondly, saturate a rag or paper towels with white vinegar and place it on the area of the sting. Let it soak on the site. Add more vinegar. You cannot use too much. DO NOT USE FRESH WATER! The difference in ph will cause the nematocysts to fire and inject all of their venom. If you follow these steps, you should be ok and not have to go and get a couple of injections for a) pain and b) numbness in the extremities, like I did. Here are the pics. First one is the day it happened, second one is about 4 days later.

JellySting1.jpg

JellySting2.jpg

I have to ask, is this stuff useful only when diving in a wetsuite, or would it protect your whole body if you dive in swim trunks only?

Courtney:
I'd like to try it out, but have a hard time with shipping that costs almost as much as the bottle itself.

Check the dive shop where you are going. If they don't have it, they can get it in.

to Mantasscareme: This stuff will protect you in just your swim trunks, but you have to apply it all over. Expecially around your waistband.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom