Safe Sea: Jellies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme:
I have to ask, is this stuff useful only when diving in a wetsuite, or would it protect your whole body if you dive in swim trunks only?
Hi. I actually came to this forum to answer another thread, but I noticed this one and thought I might be of help.

Yes, Safe Sea will protect you if you're only wearing trunks - BUT you have to apply the lotion liberally all over your skin INCLUDING under your suit. The problem with SBE is that it can easily get under your clothing and get trapped between your suit and your skin. Most swimmers will report that they notice a painful rash develop along the skin where the waistband of the suit was. The thimble jellies were actually in contact with their entire body, but they only got stung along the waistline because that's where the suit was tight. The friction is what causes the stinging mechanism to fire. You'll also notice the stings in the creases of your skin (arm pits, behind your knees, the folds of the arms, etc.)

Apply the lotion 10 minutes before going into the water (and reapply every 2 hours - especially if you're doing a lot of activity or sweating - which causes the lotion to wear off.) I hope this info is useful to some of you!

If you have any other questions, I'm happy to help.

Best,
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom