Safe Walk to Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO there is one safety issue and that is traffic. You will have to cross the road at some point to get to most places and cars, scooters, etc. zoom down the streets and we did not find any crosswalks for pedestrians. Just use caution like anywhere else as the road is fairly straight but if your from the country like we are all the traffic takes some getting used to. I don't think crime would be a safety issue on the main drag during the day unless it was a pick pocket or as mentioned above a time share type con artist.

Good point . Extra attention does need to be taken regarding traffic vs. pedestrian. Again use common sense. Remember STOP, LOOK, Listen before you cross the street ? (Gosh, I really wanted to be a crossing guard....) Cross at corners, look both ways, watch for turning traffic at corners, take extra care at curbs as some are high and some are low. Also, do be extra aware of scooters as drivers have a tendency to weave in,out and around traffic and into pedestrian traffic areas. I don't know if Mexico has pedestrian law similar to the US or not, but regardless, Pedestrians do NOT have the right of way. Otherwise, again, watch out for common safety issues as you would anywhere else.

I'm an early morning walker and have gotten up with the sun on several mornings and have walked from as far as El Cid La Ceiba up to the northern blocks of the downtown area. I have never felt unsafe and I tend to be very cautious and aware of my surroundings.

One year we visited during Carnaval, and even walking past people "sleeping it off" on every third street corner, I still felt safe.

The only place pedestrians have the right-of-way are at marked crosswalks, which are almost always large, flat-topped topes (speedbumps). South of town the topes have been replaced by paint due to tourists hitting them at greater-than-ideal speeds.

Back
Top Bottom