Safety Divers for Deep Dives - What Do They Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not meant as pissing contest at all. It has to do with this statement:
and your assertion that all dives can be covered with AL40's of EAN50 and O2.
You are welcome to start a new thread on this subject.

I gave an example of a dive that I believe should have safety divers.

The moment that gear needs to be swapped/moved around is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thats why I feel that safety divers deep is a waste of a scarce resource. What really is going to happen? Just like the 120 stop. Take reg out of mouth....put reg in mouth. Kinda hard to really mess that one up.

For my example of the Athel Viking dives.

Diver removes leash with 50% and 100% bottles. (and holds that in one hand)
(This is neg by a couple of pounds, but the leash makes it easy to hold)

Diver then removes 80 stage and clips this to the leash.
(The 80 is pos and the 40's are neg, but the leash "system" is close to neutral, so if you drop it...it doesn't drop like a rock, taking your deco bottles with it.)

Diver then takes the 40's and clips them to his harness. (This is the dangerous part. This is where it is nice to have a support diver...to get back on topic :wink:

Now, If he drops the leash now...no biggie, those tanks are done.

Now, change all those luxfer tanks and make them steel bottles. It changes the dynamics of the whole swap.

Now, I'm confused- exactly what part of your Athel Viking example is a disaster waiting to happen? It sounds like a reasonable gas switch and bottle move to me. Or are you just saying the risk is higher during the bottle juggle?

Just like the 120 stop. Take reg out of mouth....put reg in mouth. Kinda hard to really mess that one up.

Course, you might just put the wrong reg in your mouth...' you've then messed up '.

Now, I'm confused- exactly what part of your Athel Viking example is a disaster waiting to happen? It sounds like a reasonable gas switch and bottle move to me. Or are you just saying the risk is higher during the bottle juggle?
The bottle move is the dangerous part. A gas switch is always a danger, but your buddy is there. But your buddy can't replace your 50% bottle for you.

I've seen 2 50% boittles travel down to the bottom of the ocean. I had extra, so no problem, but that is probably the worst gas to lose.

Course, you might just put the wrong reg in your mouth...' you've then messed up '.

True, but in the example of the Athel viking. Your two choices where either a Backgas reg or a 120ft reg.

But if you were carrying a 120 and a 70ft bottle (and leashing an O2 bottle) then, yes your right, Jammin in the 70ft bottle into your mouth could net you a case of the funky chicken.

All this is why I like leaving the O2 on the leash until well onto the 70' bottle.

You make the first switch to the 120' bottle, which is easy - just turn it on, put it in and clip off the primary (buddy approval). There is a little more to the 70' switch (with stowing the 120' and all), but I'm still not moving any bottles around until I'm well onto the 70' bottle. Then I've got plenty of time to switch the O2 and the 120', and if I drop the O2, there is gas a-plenty. I can't move the wrong bottle 'cause I'm breathing off it. Then the procedure for the 20' switch is just like the 70' switch.

The support divers carry extra 70' gas which can replace any of the deco gas that might be lost. If I lose the 120' bottle, I might be looking for any signs of IBCD , but otherwise, there is lots of gas to deco on.

I might be looking for any signs of IBCD , but otherwise, there is lots of gas to deco on.

Always a slim possibility....we 'mix' divers should all be aware of the dynamics and signs of IBCD.

Having skilled support divers for 'typical' (I know...what ever that is) recreational tech diving is rare.....don't get to spoiled by all the attention. :)

Always a slim possibility....we 'mix' divers should all be aware of the dynamics and signs of IBCD.

Having skilled support divers for 'typical' (I know...what ever that is) recreational tech diving is rare.....don't get to spoiled by all the attention. :)

This should have been a reply to post#53

depends on the type of dives you do.. I have staged safety dives deeper than 300fsw already.. These guys ar basically solo dives loaded with bailout tanks..

On deep exploration dives Ilike to stage the deep safety divers at 50m (165), 60m (200), 80m-85m (~265-~280) and 100m (325fsw).. the next safety diver will be near the target depth..

The shallow safety divers 40m and less are kept to no decompression dives so that they can shuttle used gear up to the surface ad bring additional gear as need and are the safety divers for the deep safety divers..

All the safety divers are staggered so that they have as little deco as possible.. for 300 fsw dives (especially oc) the divers can usually carry enough gas that they only need divers in shallow water to help them with their unneded gear if they want or some other unforseen emergency.. I usualy do 300fsw dives without any "safety divers" my team is my support..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom