Safety, how much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard and seeing a number of studies that shown the merits of seeking adrenalin rush just by itself; most of the times you also get other side benefits, like great views (when rock climbing) and access to places that most will never see (like in white water kayaking), etc. But, the adrenaline rush in itself is a wordy endeavor (within reason, we want to come back tomorrow to do it again).

It is interesting that just two weeks ago I was in DC in the Smithsonian Aero and Space Museum and I watch a movie on the subject about risk taking, adrenaline rush, and how come some individuals need it much more than others. It seems to be at least partially governed by chemicals in our brain…(I have seen similar findings from other studies).

I know very little about the subject, but I can testify that there is no feeling like the rush from kayak surfing a huge wave that you know it posses an enormous amount of power in relation to our self’s, or jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, or sliding down a snow covered slopes at speed that the human body was never intended to do. Sometime you can just taste the adrenaline… and one of the great things is that on occasion your memories can almost bring back the same feeling.

Now…Scuba diving…well, this is a fairly relaxing sport. No adrenaline rush here, just relaxation. I don’t buy this whole life support thing. But, I guess since I grew up around the water and have no fear of it (respect yes, absolutely).

So according to some studies and my kayaking buddies:
“You got to live on the edge…if you are not living on the edge…you are taking to much space” :D

"Adrenaline...the natural high"

"If we were having any more fun...it would be illegal"

The government will only start regulating diving when divers start killing large numbers of the innocent non diving public.

Or if it starts to look like a good source of revenue OR if some strong lobby takes up the cause.

Where? because what I see is the most regulated places, everybody just loses respect for the laws that might actually be important.
One quick example: the 5-page medical release form used in Australia is mandated by the Aussie Government.

Which 5 page medical release form do you speak of? Any link?

I think you may be referring to the QLD (state) Govt, though I am curious, as I can't ever remember signing anything like this (it may be new).

Z...

Going back to Luis's adrenaline rush post, I raced dirt track cars for a number of years and there was no better feeling than to pass another car while keeping mine on the edge of control.

I jumped horses for years, and that's a HUGE adrenaline rush. Then I got old, and tired of the three to six month layoffs while I healed things. I gave up breaking young horses for the same reason, and skiing. Eventually, the price of the adrenaline rush can become just too much, mentally and physically. I have no desire whatsoever, EVER to experience a big adrenaline rush underwater, unless it's the kind we had when we were lucky enough to see a whale off Lanai :)

Going back to Luis's adrenaline rush post, I raced dirt track cars for a number of years and there was no better feeling than to pass another car while keeping mine on the edge of control.

I completely agree! However, driving a Blown Alcohol Dragster is a touch more exciting!

Dave

I jumped horses for years, and that's a HUGE adrenaline rush. Then I got old, and tired of the three to six month layoffs while I healed things. I gave up breaking young horses for the same reason, and skiing. Eventually, the price of the adrenaline rush can become just too much, mentally and physically. I have no desire whatsoever, EVER to experience a big adrenaline rush underwater, unless it's the kind we had when we were lucky enough to see a whale off Lanai :)

The question is did you quit seeking adrenalin rushes because you got old or do you feel old because you quit seeking adrenalin rushes? Please, don’t tell me you are old… I am only a couple of years behind you. :wink:

I don’t feel bulletproof like I did in my teens and twenties, but I also never did anything that required 3 to 6 month recovery on a regular basis.

One can get a rush wile taking a very calculated risk and keeping the probabilities of a bad outcome to a minimum. At the same time the element of chance can work against you in any situation.

The only time I have had an injury during white water kayaking was in a play spot that I have played in many times before and it can’t be considered more than a class 3 (out of 5). I dislocated my shoulder wile I was upside down (being momentarily upside down is normally of no consequence wile play-boating). I ended up swimming/ drifting a ¼ mile of rocky rapids with my shoulder locked in a bad position. Due to the damage done during the “swim”, a month later I had some reconstructive surgery. Less than a year later, I was back in my kayak (it was a long healing). The surgery would have not been required if I was willing to “take it easy”.

I always say that the most dangerous part of any outdoor activity I am involved in is driving to the site. I can’t control the other drivers (that is why I gave up riding my motorcycle).

And... I don’t consider myself an adrenaline junkie…just a casual user.
I can quit any time…I just don’t want to. :wink:

“You got to live on the edge…if you are not living on the edge…you are taking to much space” :D

I know what you mean...though when I have to deal with a jumping horse, I'm usually underneath them rather than on their back. LOL Some days there's plenty of adrenaline in my job.

do you feel old because you quit seeking adrenalin rushes?
I find the brain chemistry a huge fascination. I recently realized I make running late for a flight some sort of "game" and I have no idea what that means...needing to barely make it, making an everyday otherwise boring activity a challenge. It could even be some form of ADD and I see signs of the same thing in my children. "The danger" in modern society can be something as simple as booking your connections 30 minutes apart and feeling hopped up and elated about whether you will "make it". My daughter and I will greatly enjoy trying to recall the airport, the trams, and come up with a "plan" prior to disembarking. Some people experience it as annoying and ridiculous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom