safety of bp/w & more buouyancy questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louis:
as far as my diver profile: I am going to be mainly diving in the Carribean, but certainly if I go elsewhere it will only be warm water. I ordered a bp/w from DeepSeaSupply a few days ago and imagine it will arrive in a couple of days. (30 lb wing) I am getting a Hogarthian set up and will probably be diving in a 5 mm farmer john suit.

Good choice Louis... I've seen this equipment.. top notch in quality and from what I've heard and seen DSS has wonderful customer service.

Your gonna love it!

*Floater*:
I also thought about the safety of the BP/W setup (in my case due to not having easily ditchable weights), but it was pointed out to me that you should be able to swim to the surface with all your gear on even if the BC is punctured or destroyed somehow. I've never tried it, but I imagine such a swim should not be a problem.

Why wouldn't you have ditchable weights? You may need a little less depending on what kind of plate you have but...if you need weight...you need weight.

MikeFerrara:
Why wouldn't you have ditchable weights? You may need a little less depending on what kind of plate you have but...if you need weight...you need weight.

The ss backplate is 5lbs and for many people diving in a 3mm wetsuit that's more than enough. With a jacket bcd I used more, but we'll see in a few weeks when I dive my bp/w setup for the first time. Also, easily ditchable weights (at least weight belts) were not necessarily considered a benefit by many bp/w users here jugding by past threads on this issue.

I dive with a back inflation BC. I find them more comfortable and easier to dive with, with addjustment of weight to the rear. The best point, I think, is to look for the best covering material, i.e., the highest grade and thickness of material for the BC, and inspect the internal bladder on a routine basis. John

*Floater*:
The ss backplate is 5lbs and for many people diving in a 3mm wetsuit that's more than enough. With a jacket bcd I used more, but we'll see in a few weeks when I dive my bp/w setup for the first time. Also, easily ditchable weights (at least weight belts) were not necessarily considered a benefit by many bp/w users here jugding by past threads on this issue.

If a 6 pound (mine is 6) stainless bp is too much weight there are lighter ones as well as backplates made from other materials like aluminum and non-metals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom