Safety Reel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In preperation for my upcoming cavern training I recently purchased my first safety reel. I see that Diverite sells an adjustable drag for it, so... I'm wondering if I should get one.

I've birdnested many a baitcaster while fishing and I suspect that a birdnested safety reel would be a pain.

Any pros or cons for a safety reel drag? Thanks in advance.
Brent

Most people will say no, including me. Your instructor will teach you how to use it properly, mine likes the "pinky drag". That being said, if you get it with the drag and don't use/like it, it can be removed easily, I believe it is an add-on part.

I haven't tried my new Salvo yet, but I am looking forward to it, BUT Salvo doesn't make anything smaller then a 400', Dive Rite does, and they have a sidehandle version and the standard handle can be bolted on the side to make it one.

MBH:
In preperation for my upcoming cavern training I recently purchased my first safety reel. I see that Diverite sells an adjustable drag for it, so... I'm wondering if I should get one.

I've birdnested many a baitcaster while fishing and I suspect that a birdnested safety reel would be a pain.

Any pros or cons for a safety reel drag? Thanks in advance.
Brent
No need for that 'drag thingy', a finger on the reel spool will do. Ask your instructor to teach you.

BTW: birdnesting is part of the path to the dark.....:eyebrow:
Some make sparrow nests, some make condor nests.... let us know which you did.:)

Keep your reel simple the finger drag technique and paying attention while moving slow and in control is all that is needed. Don't race to your death. I would suggest having a finger spool as a back up to the safety.

Thanks for everyones input. GDI mentioned a finger spool for a backup, I agree 100%. I've been carrying a small Diverite finger spool for some time now.
Once again, thanks for everyones opinions.
Brent

Not trying to start a flame war here...
But most people use a penetration reel and a safety spool

The (finger) spools have no moving parts and are basically impossible to jam in the dark or under stress. They are ideal for safety purposes.

The penetration reel is used to tie into the mainline and needs a handle+crank.

I understand some divers use a small reel with a handle + crank for safety purposes (lost line, etc) but I suspect this is a rarity.

rjack321:
Not trying to start a flame war here...

No problem rjack.
My NSS/CDS book is out in my truck but if memory serves me correctly; My class requirement is for one primary reel per team and one safety reel per diver. I always carry a finger spool with me for bag shoots.

rjack321:
I understand some divers use a small reel with a handle + crank for safety purposes (lost line, etc) but I suspect this is a rarity.

Less of a rarity than you think. I let the cave dictate the size of the safety reel/spool. If I dive some more common caves that have side walls about 50' apart,then a conventional spool is acceptable,but frequently I am in places with side walls at least 100-150' apart,then something like a Jasper reel is very handy. I've have found that safety spools have let a lot a divers down since they easily come off the gear when not stored correctly,only to the divers surprise that they did their dive without a safety spool. I have found may safety spools in the cave and have mated them up with people in the parking lot.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom