Safety Reel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my buddies we all use safety spools. Reels are less reliable in our opinions (n=7) and used for penetration. If you wish to use a safety reel by all means do so. But spools don't birdsnest and if you do happen to drop the double ender in a silt out they still work for finding the mainline.

Finding spools (or reels) on the cave floor is not much of a reflection on the spool itself, more of the diver who lost it.

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Agreed.

Just get proficient with whichever one you choose, better yet get proficient with both. Also know the advantages & disadvantages of both and act accordingly.

I prefer a reel for locating a lost line or looking for a lost buddy.

I have found several more spools in caves than reels. I have seen several more spools with a lot of line trailing behind a diver than reels.

Jim
I agree. A reel if used correctly is a very good tool for lost line search,and can allow the process to go faster. Spools are good,but they have their inherent problems,just as reels have their problems. I think one key thing,is after someone completes their entry level cave training,and has done this skill once or twice,how many times have they practiced this skill later? I practice this skill occasionally,as well as having to do it for real on a few occasions,and have done it with a reel and spool. In the evaluation process of spool vs reel,try practicing both a few times,this will make you a more proficient cave diver as well as help make judgements about life saving equipment.

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Agreed.

Just get proficient with whichever one you choose, better yet get proficient with both. Also know the advantages & disadvantages of both and act accordingly.

I prefer a reel for locating a lost line or looking for a lost buddy.

I have found several more spools in caves than reels. I have seen several more spools with a lot of line trailing behind a diver than reels.

Agreed ! (on getting proficient with whatever you use)
I STILL have more issues with spools than reels. But that's just me. I got used to using reels. And I have found , the SLOWWWWER you go with em , the better!
I used to put in line like: "Where's the fire?"
Now it's like , Smooooothe , like Hot fudge. :eyebrow:

Da Beano

rjack321:
Finding spools (or reels) on the cave floor is not much of a reflection on the spool itself, more of the diver who lost it.

I agree.

MBH:
My class requirement is for one primary reel per team and one safety reel per diver. I always carry a finger spool with me for bag shoots.

That spool will come in handy in the cave. Deploying a bag just before "The Lips" is always a good time had by all! :D

Seriously, though, when I first started cave diving I would go into a cave carrying enough gear as if expecting a DIR jihad. "You want a spare second stage? Psst... I got some good chit right here in the left pocket, hey, Esé?"

I also had a "one size fits all" mentality and I viewed the functions of my equipment and my pocket contents as being applicable to open water, wreck diving and cave diving simultaneously. But, thanks to my instructors, my own experiences and by listening to the old pros teach talk or teach their students, I learned to view the equipment I carried and its function solely for its purpose for each particular cave dive.

I learned to "dive the cave" and my mind sharpened to a higher level of dive planning. You begin to envision all the possible scenarios for that specific dive and plan accordingly. There is a saying in cave diving, "If you don't need it, don't take it." When planning a dive, everything that I carry has an assigned role or purpose planned specifically for that dive. I also leave behind anything that I do not need no matter how small whether it's an additional arrow or cookie, spool or even a paper thin flexible signal mirror I have in my notebook.

Every item that you carry adds to your profile, your drag and your weight. As you increase your profile you have more of chance of entanglement or damaging a cave. Increased profile and increased weight will increase your drag. Increased drag will cause you to work harder and move slower. Work and time uses gas. Gas is life.

This is true even if you have your equipment in your thigh pockets. Bill Main explained to me how much thigh pockets will increase drag so you don't want them bulging with gear. I try to keep everything I carry in those pockets to a minimum for both streamlining and to allow me to more easily access the equipment I do need or may need.

I know you weren't going to take a liftbag into a cave. :wink: But, I just wanted to mention something that might speed your learning process.

That spool you always carry... what is its purpose on this dive? Do you need it? How much line does it have? Would you be safer with more line? Do you need less line? Do you have reels/spools with more or less line in your arsenal? Would one of those be better? When do you plan to access it? How far into the cave? For efficiency, where will you carry it? In what pocket will it be placed? Can you identify it as yours by feel?

I think there is an evolutionary hierarchy among divers much like there was among astronauts. First, they wanted dogs and chimps to orbit, then they started sending test pilots with names like "Buzz" and finally Asians from MIT. In diving, you've got your wreck divers :cwmddd:, and then your more highly evolved tech divers :babycrawl , and finally you've got your cave divers :lightbulb!

TraceMalin:
Every item that you carry adds to your profile, your drag and your weight. As you increase your profile you have more of chance of entanglement or damaging a cave. Increased profile and increased weight will increase your drag. Increased drag will cause you to work harder and move slower. Work and time uses gas. Gas is life.

This is true even if you have your equipment in your thigh pockets. Bill Main explained to me how much thigh pockets will increase drag so you don't want them bulging with gear. I try to keep everything I carry in those pockets to a minimum for both streamlining and to allow me to more easily access the equipment I do need or may need.

Why not move the reels/spools to the doody rings which would take away drag,and an extremely minimal entanglement issue (actually if you are entangeled there,you were screwed a long time ago:) )

Doody ring, I'll have to remember that :)

While some divers seem to have eyes back there (or maybe their head :lotsalove: ), I try not to. Seems like stuff on my doody ring has a much greater tendency to come loose in some fashion or another. Line coming off spools or reels would be one snarly mess. It doesn't happen much anymore, but its still a potential issue back there.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom