Safety stop anchor double as a sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK , but it was pretty clear water in the Gulf and it was sunny and warm ... no islands though :)

BTW ... using ducks for cover wont work if it's duck season :D

Something that came to mind... If you're using it as an anchor, make sure it's not attached to your bcd. It's a very good way to blow through a ceiling and come to a rapid ascent profile if some current catches it while clipped off.

Something that came to mind... If you're using it as an anchor, make sure it's not attached to your bcd. It's a very good way to blow through a ceiling and come to a rapid ascent profile if some current catches it while clipped off.

vj... not sure what exactly you are replying to, or if you are saying what I think you are saying, but if you are referring to hanging on an SMB and clipping it off.... My experience has been to VERY MUCH make sure it is unclipped before deployment, but if you are a couple lbs negative after deployment, hanging on the line is very much improved by a solid clip. It also makes the SMB stand at attention on the surface: much better visibility for the monkeys in speedboats to try and hit.

as for drifting... well you aren't usually deploying it because you are exiting the water in Whytcliff park, but rather because you are coming up in the middle of an area occasioned or frequently travelled by boats. Even if drifting off target is an issue, keep in mind that TYPICALLY surface currents or winds will have less affect than your water resistance. That being said, I have been in a situation where the sheer between surface current (or lack thereof) and bottom roller coaster ride was so significant that finning hard I could not keep pace with the others in my dive ....at 50 FSW I had the line out like a kite with maybe 150' of scope payed out and it was still dragging me up like a 4X4 winch:confused:

From the Mares.com website.
415708_safety_stop_marker_buoy.png

Google will actualy come up with many of these.

Horrible.... a clear example of scuba manufacturers creating over-complicated, over-expensive products to meet a need that does not exist. :no:

Looks like this....(and about as useful to a diver..)

balloon-orange_yellow240.jpg

purplepeopleeater320.jpg

I hope no one clips their SMB to them .. you can "hang on the line" without clipping it, if that's the way you want to do it

.. if clipped to you, if something snags your buoy on the surface, your going up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom