Safety stop 'anchor'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a bag. folks have been shooting bags for a safety stop and to mark the assent for years. It has an obvious limitation. For one, it appears to be designed to deploy near the surface. If I am at 80 and am going to need to use a bag/smb I want it up there immediately so the boat can track me. The second disadvantage is that it is 2 ft long. That will not be very visible at any kind of distance. I will keep my reel and my 6 ft smb.

This is a bag. folks have been shooting bags for a safety stop and to mark the assent for years. It has an obvious limitation. For one, it appears to be designed to deploy near the surface. If I am at 80 and am going to need to use a bag/smb I want it up there immediately so the boat can track me. The second disadvantage is that it is 2 ft long. That will not be very visible at any kind of distance. I will keep my reel and my 6 ft smb.
+1 I agree and it is easy to put depth marks on your smb or just watch your depth I am gonna keep using my sausage this product IMO is one of those gimmicky type gizmos

I agree with Steve_C that 2 foot is not big enough to be seen - I find 4.5 foot a reasonable compromise.

One thing though - the product web page says
The Safety Stop Anchor Fits in its own little bag 6 x 2 x 2 inches, and has a clip to mount to your bc, or just throw it in a pocket.

Just in case you are new to DSMB !

The clip is for stowing the product during the dive - I think sticking it in a pocket is safer.

Never ever clip a DSMB to your BC or yourself while it is deployed - if someone picks it up from a boat you'll end up being dragged along with it.

Last edited:
It's no different to a DSMB, except it disregards the need to be seen, at a distance, on the surface and it doesn't allow deployment at depth.

It says it is "visible' but the shape ensures it won't rise high out of the water - and, given that most novice divers struggle to fully fill DSMBs/Bags... a partially inflated, 'limp' deployment will barely break the surface.

It has 'clips' at 10' and 15'... wow... like you can't put a knot in a line on a finger spool... ha ha

And, of course, the line has no spool... so that's not gonna tangle all the time. LMAO

There's nothing revolutionary in this. It's just a really duff product which the manufacturer has given a name that might scam a few sales out of inexperienced divers.

I agree with the other posters, I think you'd be better served with a larger DSMB (at least 3-4') and spool. The bag seems very gimicky and limited in what it can do.

I like my SMB - it's much higher and has a pocket for a light stick/flasher when I use it at night.

I wouldn't use it. Might pop shooting from depth since it has no OPV that I can see.

I carry two SMB's when open water diving in the ocean or very big lakes. One is a 36 inch that has an OPV. Keep it with a 50 ft spool. Send it up in calm conditions as an ascent line. Can be fully inflated with a 1/4 breath. I sell it for less than 25.00 oral or LP inflate.

The other is a 6 ft and can be used at the surface once I'm up or deployed from deeper depths with one of my larger reels. Better for when there is some chop. It's under 50.00 and can be inflated orally, via LP hose, or with the second stage

Nice thing about the 36 is that it is easy to learn to deploy and has much less risk of pulling the diver up with it should they become tangled. It only has about 10 lbs of lift max. The 6 footer has upwards of 40. For newer divers learning to deploy the SMB a 36 is easily managed in the pool and can be pulled back down fairly easily for practice without doing multiple ascents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom