Safety stop at 15'..........always

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Suppose one of the other guests on the boat does this and gets bent.

Safety stops are a great idea, but missing them is not as likely to result in getting bent as those drinks everyone else is having after their day of diving is over.

NWGratefulDiver:
Is this person's carelessness still none of my business?

Yep. It's still none of our business.

NetDoc:
Precisely, and in today's litigious society, who knows... you might get sued!

Sue them for the cost of your trip.

NetDoc:
The OP never questioned "what" a safety stop was, only what to do when they were being habitually omitted. Rather than being helpful to him, we are discussing rather fines points of what a safety stop is or isn't.

Actually, she didn't ask that, she asked if we made safety stops. Several of us answered that question.

robint:
How many of you do Safety Stops regardless of what your computer says?

The OP never questioned "what" a safety stop was, only what to do when they were being habitually omitted. Rather than being helpful to him, we are discussing rather fines points of what a safety stop is or isn't. Like whether or not the "safety stops" called for in the RGBM tables are called so incorrectly. If it's an open water dive (which I believe it is) than those stops are not essential for a safe ascent. They are only essential if you want to keep diving that day. I see this as a safe step in the right direction and perhaps it will curtail the lackadaisical attitude towards safety stops exhibited by the diver in question.

I don't really care that the discussion about what a safety stop is continues, but I would like to see some answers to the OP as well. What should or can be done in these situations?

Netdoc - I am the OP. I wasn't wanting to discuss whether this guy should be held liable for anything. I just wondered about how many people out there don't understand (like him) that they are important, just as a safety factor. I was particularly offended that the dive guides insisted in their briefing that everyone did them, but he still skipped them every time because his computer didn't tell him to do a deco stop (his computer was so old it didn't tell him anything about safety stops.)

I just wanted to know if everyone else runs into issues like this. Me and my husband always do safety stops (he's an instructor so it would silly if he didn't follow the rules). WE haven't run into too many people doing really stupid things, yes we have seen some stupid things, like blowing a safety stop once or twice.... but this guy skipped the safety stop EVERY dive and we were doing repetitive DEEP dives. And instead of staying with the group, when he ran low on air he would just go straight to the surface and inflate is sausage and signal the boat for pickup. Not smart in Palau heavy current conditions.

Anyhow, I am glad to see everyone else posting here does do some sort of stops and realize it is just one more safety buffer. :D
Since we do alot of liveaboards, I am concerned when I see another diver doing something that may affect MY trip adversely. If my trip got affected/cancelled due to someone getting DCS, I don't want it to be from a duffus who was diving unsafe.

Our only other experience with safety had to do with a pair of divers on the Nekton to Cay Sal Bank 2 yrs ago.... the boat rule is 130' max, no exceptions. There is a large white board where you log in and out from each dive, and put your max depth. This pair was so stupid they actually wrote max depth for a dive as 150'. The DM immediately pulled them aside and told them if they go below 130' again they will sit out the rest of the day, and that they would be checking their computers to make sure they were honest. I didn't hear of any other problems with them after being warned. That boat was out in open ocean, no where near land in case of a needed evac. So the whole boat would have had to go back up towards Bimini with alot of unhappy people.

robin:D

If i go 60' or deeper I do a safety stop. I have been doing this for years. Over the last year or so I have been doing a deep stop as well. 1 minute at half of my deepest depth.

In December I was talking to some of the DAN people at teh Florida Dive Show. They have been doing some field studies on deep stops. They are getting ready to come out reccommending a 2 1/2 minute deep stop along with the regular safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom