Safety stops when monitoring SurGF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a typical no stop dive with my GF set to 85, when I hit safety stop depth, I generally stay there until I see a SurfGF of 70. That could take more than the usual safety stop time. Then I ascend, regardless of how long I have been there. The obvious exception is when I am diving with others who have to stay longer. I stay with them however long that takes.

So what if I reach safety stop level with my GF already below 70? Then it's how I feel that day, but most of the time my ascent will be based on the people I am diving with.

The science and studies are clear that adding a safety stop results in fewer post-dive issues. People get bent on NDL dives all the time. My stance is that unless there is a very good reason to skip the safety stop, always do one.
No, people do not get bent on NDL dives all the time. It certainly does happen, but the percentage of dives on which it happens is tiny.

When you say that research indicates adding a safety stop on dives provides benefits, you are talking about all dives. The OP was not talking about all dives. He was talking about dives when you reach safety stop depth with a SurfGF below 60, which is well below the level you would normally reach after a safety stop. Can you point to the research describing the benefit of doing a safety stop when you are already below the safety factor reached when most safety stops are over?

I get a count-up timer where the count-down timer would be in OC Rec.
I thought that required that you enter deco first and then clear before it started. (Thus, wouldn't be shown on an NDL dive.) Admittedly, I switched to a Teric a couple years ago, so could be misremembering.

I thought that required that you enter deco first and then clear before it started. (This, wouldn't be shown on an NDL dive.) Admittedly, I switched to a Teric a couple years ago, so could be misremembering.
It read that way to me, which is probaly why I didn't look into enabling it.
I'll do so now though and see what it does on the next dive. Not that I am doubting the OP. :)

Let's stop and try to understand the reason for the safety stop.

On a no stop dive, the theory is that the diver should be able to go directly to the surface at any time, assuming a safe ascent rate. On a decompression dive, a stop is required. Decompression algorithms try to predict the difference, but decompression algorithms cannot accurately identify what is actually happening in our bodies, so we introduce fudge factors to add a layer of safety. That is why PADI came up with the oxymoronic "required optional safety stop" for dives on the edges of no decompression limits. They couldn't think of a different term--"fudge factor" was not acceptable. They recommended safety stops for other dives, with no clear cutoff for when they are not needed.

So what does a safety stop do? You have a variety of tissues in your body, and they on-gas and off-gas at different rates. When you start your ascent, the fastest tissues start to off-gas, and as you ascend, all of the faster tissues begin off-gassing. But your slower tissues will still take on nitrogen, even during the ascent. The slowest tissues will still be on-gassing until you get out of the water.

Off-gassing happens when a tissue is supersaturated. For each tissue, there is a safe amount of supersaturation that can be tolerated. Research indicates that when a diver reaches safety stop depth and stays long enough for the fastest tissues to off-gas to that pressure, then the saturated tissues can go safely to the surface, and the tissues still on-gassing cannot possibly reach an unsafe level.

With the Bulmann algorithm, a diver should be able to surface safely with a SurfGF of 100. If you set the SurfGF to 85 and ascend without a safety stop, you have added a level of safety. If you wait in a safety stop, you have added to that level. It stands to reason that if you arrive at the safety stop depth with a surfGF of 60, you should be pretty darn safe to go to the surface.

I Set my GF High at my personal safety limit. If my Shearwater is not in deco, I don't feel I need a safety stop. Other factors such as team cohesion and operations procedures may dictate that I do a safety stop. If I thought a safety stop was warranted, I would also think I need to adjust my Shearwater to make it a deco stop.

IMHO: The safety stop concept is based on recreation dive tables/PDCS with an equivalent GF High of around 95%. This combined with the assumed poor assent control of the beginner diver is why the safety stop is beneficial.

Can you point to the research describing the benefit of doing a safety stop when you are already below the safety factor reached when most safety stops are over?
Of course not. Safety stops were invented before SurfGF was a thing.

It stands to reason that if you arrive at the safety stop depth a surfGF of 60, you should be pretty darn safe to go to the surface
Indeed, PADI's no-kidding, no-stop time for 60 ft is 47 mins, and after a mere 22 minute safety stop, your SGF will match the OP's value of 60.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom