Salary for part time (weekend) instructors in California?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For teaching open water classes? A guy above said he was getting $125 a head... I would think that it wouldn't be hard to find 4 people learning to dive in California...

elmo6s:
I really like Pomona
Cal Poly Pomona is my Alma Mater...go Broncos! (Like we ever had any sports to cheer for)...not much in the way of surfing, unless you wanna try Kellogg hill.

elmo6s:
For teaching open water classes? A guy above said he was getting $125 a head... I would think that it wouldn't be hard to find 4 people learning to dive in California...
Thats probably to do the entire class that probably goes over several weeks. Doubt that you're going to get that every weekend, especially just DMing.

Not much in terms of DMing, but here in SB, you can also get a job working at the local dive shops. Two of my dive buddies work in 2 of the 3 local dive shops, one 5 mins away from the UCSB campus and the other downtown, which is 15-20mins away. As far as surfing goes, we have some of the best! We're right on the beach, so you can go surfing in between classes...just walk down campus :D Plus we have a scuba club! We get free air fills :wink:

The nearest harbor from UCSB is in Ventura, about an hour south. Not too bad really, but if you're in the LA area (if you decide to go to UCLA or something), the Long Beach harbor is half an hour south. One thing to keep in mind though is that boats from Long Beach only go to the lower Channel Islands, while the ones in Ventura go to the northern ones. I could be wrong though, but I haven't seen a boat here go to Catalina, or a boat in Long Beach go to San Miguel.

What will you major in?

My major will be the butt to many jokes after I've told you guys I surf and dive. It will probably be computer science - I laugh at myself sometimes too - I look like a normal kid and am not even good at math - but somehow or other I'm pretty much a prodigy when it comes to computers - go figure...

Computer Science is heavy into math and computer algorithms. Don't expect it to be installing drivers/putting hardware together.

After you mention Dm'ing, instructing, possibly surfing, and last certainly least CS; waiting tables looks like the high salary leader.

elmo6s:
My major will be the butt to many jokes after I've told you guys I surf and dive. It will probably be computer science - I laugh at myself sometimes too - I look like a normal kid and am not even good at math - but somehow or other I'm pretty much a prodigy when it comes to computers - go figure...

Come here to UCSB! If you wanna surf, dive, and major in CS, this is the place to be! Quite a few of my friends are CS majors. Make sure to apply here, okay? We'll go diving off the beach too.

elmo6s:

:hijack:

Agreed with the above post about CS not being anything practical. You will learn to code and do algorithms, and you will learn to do it well whilst writing your own compiler, but every UC requires 2 years of calculus (Including differential equations, vector calc, matrix math) Plus 1 year of physics (aka applied math) not to mention the Electrical Engineering courses (aka applied physics) that are cross-listed with the CS department, including ECE 60 (Circuits and Sytems), the ultimate weeder class that is filled with differential calculus taught by Asian or eastern European visiting professors whom you cannot understand through their accent...

If you are very into water stuff, UCSD is literally 5 minutes walk from the beach, and about 7 minutes drive from la jolla cove / shores. walk down the hill and you are at Scripps institute of oceanography. Definitely plenty to do on the dive front.

I graduated from UC San Diego with a BA in Music after 1 year of Electrical Eng, 2 Years of Cognitive Neuroscience, and 3 Years playing horns. UCSD is a great engineering school IF you are absolutely sure that you want to do something technical and science / engineering oriented. Many, many people go straight into the biotech, chemistry, and computer industries from internships and buddy-buddy relationships with management and professors. No college atmosphere, though. People studied on friday nights. Go to SDSU to drink and party... Hotter girls, too. If you have ANY uncertainty about going into a science or engineering field, look to other UC's or other colleges.

If you have any aspirations to do liberal arts, I'd look to UCLA or Pomona. LOTS to do and a great atmosphere in LA (Well, not literally... love the line from Get Shorty about 'They say the smog is why we have such beautiful sunsets..."). Diddy Riese will become your new hangout for munchies, heh. One of the Valedictorians from my high school went to Berkeley and did bioengineering, said it was difficult and cutthroat, the housing was expensive, but that it was 4 years that she wouldn't trade for anything, so go figure. She's actually now at UCI med school.

Oh, as an aside, you DO know you will be positively RAPED for out of state tuition for a year or two before the residency status kicks in, right? All checks payable to UC Regents...

Good luck with the DM and Instructoring. It won't pay the rent here, but you will probably dive for free and pay for your gas / beer with the tips.

<END HIJACK!!!>

Back
Top Bottom