Salton Sea Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey_Wulff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apart from several searches that have taken place in the Salton Sea for downed aircraft of one type or another, does anyone know of other attempts to dive here? If so, are conditions typically as bad as noted by one local police sgt. who reported visibility between 6in and 2ft at the crash site of a WWII Naval fighter found in June 1999.

This was a 'diving' dinner conversation that got a little off track, and a quick search of the Internet revealed very little information. Anyone have any more information?

Grey_Wulff

JDog:
6in vis, I'd be barfing in 20 minutes.

You're right, it certainly doesn't sound that pleasant. I wonder if conditions are always this bad?

Grey_Wulff

I thought people were afraid to even dip their toes in the Salton Sea these days. After my only visit there I wouldn't even consider swimmiong much less diving in it.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
I thought people were afraid to even dip their toes in the Salton Sea these days. After my only visit there I wouldn't even consider swimmiong much less diving in it.

Dr. Bill

What was your experience there, Dr. Bill?

Oh, and JDog, I'd give you 10 mins! :wink:

Grey_Wulff - why would you want to dive the Salton Sea? Its full of fertilizer run-off and other stuff which is now highly concentrated. Sounds nasty to me! But I have dove Lake Perris a few times and it sounds like Lake Perris is a paradise compared to the Salton Sea.

[disclaimer - I have never been diving in the Salton Sea ... just sounds nasty!]

Paul

PnL:
Grey_Wulff - why would you want to dive the Salton Sea? Its full of fertilizer run-off and other stuff which is now highly concentrated. Sounds nasty to me! But I have dove Lake Perris a few times and it sounds like Lake Perris is a paradise compared to the Salton Sea.

[disclaimer - I have never been diving in the Salton Sea ... just sounds nasty!]

Paul

Rough seas, poor weather and run-off contamination always seemingly being in the picture prompted our dinner conversation. At least it's warm and doesn't rain to often in the desert! Like you said though, the water might not be too healthy!

Grey_Wulff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom