Saltwater aquariums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I a noob to scuba (just certified in April.. caught the bug and going to Bonaire on October..Yea!), I had been in saltwater for many years prior to moving from Colorado to FL.

My advise..... Go with Salt water, Go big. Bigger tanks are more stable than smaller tanks, Reef tanks are way cool. Check out www.tampabaysaltwater.com They have the largest Live Rock Farm in the world. GREAT stuff. Go for the "package".

If you are looking for equipment, drop me a line.. I had to give away (for free) the entire tank and live stock when I moved, but I still have alot of the pumps, chiller, power heads and various other equipment for saltwater. (I had a pump room in the basement and the tank up on the 2nd floor (all of the plumbing was in the walls) . No,, I am not going to give this stuff away, I need money for scuba gear!! Honestly I had not thought about selling the stuff till I was this post.

Collect lots of advise, reefcentral is great. Think before you leap, If done correctly you can have the ocean in your house. Maintenance can be automated to a great degree (I had fresh water make-up, Calcium reactor, PH monitors, Chiller, Automated lights, moon light, wave maker, etc...Like scuba, reef tanks are a money pit if you want it to be.

Good Luck!!

Scott

We've had salt water tanks for over 20 years and have only been diving a little over a year now, but always snorkled. We have a 150 and 75. We've also done a 40 tall when we had an octopus and he was the only thing in that tank except clams and crabs, which were his food.

Our 150 currently has a snowflake eel and yellow tank. The 75 is set up as a reef tank with giant mushrooms (started as a dime sized mushroom 15 years ago, split so many times I lost count!), soft corals, and some shrimp. We do very little but a few water changes a year and enjoying them. The tanks act as a room divider between our kitchen and livingroom so you can see through them from 3 sides each.

We also have 3 outdoor freshwater ponds with tropicals, goldfish, and koi. We've had tanks ever since college and enjoy the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom