Salvo vs Halcyon Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki:
You called and got Barry Miller? Who's going to answer the phone once he reports to jail ... :D
Duane ... I was just talking to him on Friday (ordered a reel and transfill whip).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWG,
Welcome back Lazarus :)
From the net:-
"In the Gospel of Luke 16:19–31, Lazarus is the beggar at the rich man's table, who receives his reward in the Hereafter, in Abraham's bosom at the everlasting banquet, while the rich man craves a drop of water from Lazarus' finger. Lazarus is the only person in a New Testament parable given a name. However, the rich man of the parable has been named Dives by tradition, although the name does not appear in Luke."

DiveGolfSki:
Yup, Village Divers in Manhattan has both Halcyon and Salvo. Needless to say, I didn't ask him if there was an issue. Strange though, my LDS was pretty emphatic about it.
don't know WHO your LDS is, HOWEVER... some people will say anything to justify a poor decision. Not that this has ever happened here (Bwahahahaha!), but if someone from the DEALER tells you whats up, I would take that to the bank.

To date, I have heard only sporadic bad about either Halcyon or Salvo. On my last trip to Ginnie I picked up a salvo backup light and after it's first dive it was wet inside. I brought the light back and the shop put in another O-Ring. I have not dove it since. Anytime I have had problems with other lights (mostly the SL6) they have been exchanged outright. Will I condemn all of Salvo for one leaky light and getting less service than I was expecting? No. The few issues that I have heard about Halcyon have not been that remarkable either. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

My primary is an ancient Dive Rite which has worked GREAT. However, I am considering Manta's system, and as a disclaimer: they will be advertising with us.

cool_hardware52:
Brewing up some "devils gas" ? :D

Tobin
Busted ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NetDoc:
...My primary is an ancient Dive Rite which has worked GREAT. However, I am considering Manta's system, and as a disclaimer: they will be advertising with us.

:wink: and makes sense.

Had no problems with my 21 watt Salvo and customer service is great.

I would pick Salvo

DiveGolfSki:
I'm been doing some research on canister lights (even entertained making my own ... have all the parts but not the time) in order to evaluate which one to buy. I had narrowed it down to Halcyon or DiveRite but a friend just turned me on to Salvo's, a brand I hadn't heard of. He had just gotten back from a dive in the DR (Dominican Rep.) and used a salvo. Several other divers had Halcyon but the Salvo outshone them (excuse the pun).

So after doing some searches on this board, I think I'm familiar with their equipment and, as a bonus, read all the disputes, lawsuits (criminal) ... et al, between Salvo and Halcyon.

I went to my local LDS who had carries Halcyon and asked for Salvo lights. He said that Halcyon will not sell to him if he carried Salvo lights as well. Has anyone heard of this from other dealers? I didn't think the lawsuit had any "non-compete" settlements attached but I could be mistaken. Does this mean I'll have to buy it on-line (e.g., direct or through LP) or through a dealer that doesn't sell Halcyon?

Has anyone had a chance to evaluate Salvo's lights (or other products) versus Halcyon or, for that matter, other manufacturers? What's your take on their quality?

NWGratefulDiver:
I know that Green Force lights are a great product ... but in truth, NiteRider offers many of those features on their lights. So perhaps you don't consider them a competitor ???

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Bob,

Thanks for you kind words about Green Force. I very familiar with Night Rider and their features, and I would to some degree consider them a competitor. I try not to get commenting about competitors directly in a negative way. I looking and knowing about their features, I would have to disagree. If you would like specifics, PM me. Out of courtesy, I do not want to do it in an open forum

Thanks - Greg

NetDoc:
To date, I have heard only sporadic bad about either Halcyon or Salvo. On my last trip to Ginnie I picked up a salvo backup light and after it's first dive it was wet inside. I brought the light back and the shop put in another O-Ring. I have not dove it since.

Fwiw, Salvo did not design or manufacture the "Salvo backup light" - the light is made by the same manufaturer that produces the "Surge" for Princeton Tec.

Bob, are you into the "crack cocaine of diving" again? Tsk, tsk.

Back
Top Bottom