San Andres Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ataraxis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to either Roatan or San Andres island. Heard the diving is fabulous in Roatan however I have also heard the sand fleas are bad. My wife does not dive and is happy relaxing by a pool. I on the other hand would like to experience a good dive and would like to get some input on whether San Andres is also a good dive destination and whether the bugs are as bad as they say in Roatan. (Remember, my wife will be sitting by the pool or beach and does not like little bitting insects). Can someone give me some input on either place? Thanks.

ataraxis

I'd go to San Andres and even on to Providencia Island. My wife and I are currently checking them both out for a trip. We are both divers and frequent the bay islands. San flies are present in the morningds and late afternoons. They can be controlled with bug juice containing DEET. If your wife is FREEKIE about the bugs, got to San Andres...then give me a good report.

Regards,

visited san andres in 1985. It's Hawaii for Colombians. No bugs, great seafood, nice beaches. Friendly people . Diving ok, not great--lots of fishing boats in the islands. If you take a plane to Providencia and stay in a house on the beach (pretty much your only option), I hear the diving is great. On Providencia, most islanders speak English as their first language.

Cudabait:
I'd go to San Andres and even on to Providencia Island. My wife and I are currently checking them both out for a trip. We are both divers and frequent the bay islands. San flies are present in the morningds and late afternoons. They can be controlled with bug juice containing DEET. If your wife is FREEKIE about the bugs, got to San Andres...then give me a good report.

Regards,

thanks for the input. I'll keep you posted if we decide to go.

Both places have great diving although I'd probably lean towards Roatan for if I had to chose one. Sandflies in Roatan can be a real problem depending on the time of year.

On Roatan you can stay in the West End in a posada or at one of the AI's like Anthony's Key. I've always done the posada option and had a great time.

I think there are more option of topside for things to do in Roatan than in San Andres. San Andres was looking a little run down two years ago but I see they are sprucing things up a bit now with a new walk way downtown.

There are some great deals on for San Andres now prior to high season. For good source of info try here.
http://groups.msn.com/BigJuicesSanAndresIsland/

I like Roatan alot. But I have been to San Andres three times, only snorkle there I was on a "date" all 3 times. I liked it too no sand fleas good food and good prices. And yes this is Hawaii for the Colombians DO NOT go if thier is a holiday in Colombia and they have alot of holidays.Provedencia is supposed to be awesome but no night life. As you are from Canada your flight would be easy, I always had to go thru Bogota' tuff choice wish I had dove there.Let us know.

For diving go to Providencia where I did one of my top 3 dives ever called "El Spiral". The dives we did on San Andres were average at best. Roatan diving is far better than SA & topside is less touristy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom