San Diego in Sept, where to stay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
we have been coming out to Calif to dive for the past 5 yrs, done almost all the Channel Islands on the Peace, Spectre, and/or the Great Escape. All were great trips and we would do them all again but this year we are thinking of heading farther south and doing San Diego for the first time. Best time for us is late Aug-mid sept (before bug season starts.)

We have looked at the Marissa, Lois Ann, and Humboldt websites and all look great... but since you don't sleep overnight on those boats like the others we have done, where do people usually stay? Is there a safe and inexpensive hotel near the dock area? Or is there a better area to stay? We will probably drive out (12 hours from our house). Any recommendations of places to stay or NOT stay? Places to eat?

Also, we both have drysuits but we are guessing that early Sept water temps will be warm enough for 7mm wetsuits with hoods...yes? We want to do a day on wrecks and maybe a day in kelp.

We probably need to book the diving asap so any info you can all share is appreciated. :D

thanks!

robin:D

Good for your to branch out. San Diego has a lot to offer to divers. You may also want to look into a day trip to the Coronados Islands. Most boats do half-day trips to wreck alley or kelp beds, so you may be able to do wrecks and kelp dives in one day if you're up for diving a lot.

On a few occassions, I dove Saturdays and Sundays on the Humboldt and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Sea World (3950 Jupiter St, San Diego, CA 92110). I'm sure there are cheaper ones to be found (try Google or hotels.com) but I'm not a big fan of cheap motels. Also, it's very close to the dive boats and they are clean and safe with several restaurants in walking distance. Most boats leave around 7 am, so to me it was worth trading a few more bucks for 30 minutes of sleep.

Temps are probably around 55, so either dry suit or 7 mm wetsuit with hood will be fine. I would recommend diving dry if your doing 3 or more dives a day.

Have fun,
Gerald

I second the suggestion for the Coronados. Marissa's 3 tank all day trip is fantastic. I've stayed at the Hyatt, really like the waterfront suites, and at the Dana. Both are right on Quivera Basin where all the dive ops are.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom