San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience, San Diego's most predictable period in which a charter is least likely to be cancelled, is July - October. I've probably been on 20+ local charters and I've had only two cancelled. The warmest top water temps tend to occur in late summer/early fall (appx 70 degrees). However, temps at depth are consistently low 50s all year round (except this year which is an El Nino year).

San Diego's strong points include:

• One of the healthiest giant kelp beds in the world (Point Loma)
  • Other giant kelp beds up and down the coastline, including La Jolla Cove
  • Wreck Alley which includes sites such as The Yukon, The Ruby E, and NOS Tower
  • La Jolla Shores, which is very diver friendly w. a grassy park right in front. There's a long stretch of instructor friendly "shallows" which is mostly just sand, but then opens up into a deep, deep canyon that constantly provides new creature subjects for those who dive it often.
  • Los Coronados Islands (technically in Mexico) offer fun shallow dives w. better-than-usual visibility for the area. Lots of friendly sea lions here.

All that said, I don't think any local diver would ever argue that the crown jewel(s) of So Cal diving are the Channel Islands. If you want to experience the best of So Cal diving, this is where you need to go.

BTW - my personal favorite local operation is Waterhorse Charters.

Waterhorse is is great in San diego, and the Coronado's which they do frequently are fantastic dives with usually great visibility!

As as for the Crown Jewels, I'd have to say the Oil Riggs, are fantastic, usually great visibility, great growth and palagics....the other crown jewel I'd say is Farnsworth bank, purple hydro choral is awesome.

as for diving So. Ca. , in anything less than a 7mm.....NFW :), if I'm doing one shore dive my 7mm is fine, any more than that , or a multi dive boat, and im diving dry thanks. We are a pretty dry climate the surface interval on a So. Ca. Dive boat can be damn chilly regardless of the year!

id also add that while summer might be a good time to not have a charter cancelled, winter is the best time to truly get spectacular visibility!

I managed to get out on the Waterhorse charter to the Yukon this morning (the afternoon trip that I was originally booked for was cancelled because of the wind/swell). The forecast was calling for 7-foot swells and I didn't have a tape measure on me, but I'd guess that was what they actually were. This caused quite a bit of surge on the bottom and visibility was around 10'. Other divers on the boat said it was less than that, but I could easily see my fins and then some. The mooring line snapped from the boat bouncing in the swell (holding on to the line during my safety stop risked dislocating my shoulder) so we tied off to a different spot (stern) for the second dive. When I surfaced, a skinny baby sea lion had climbed up the ladder and it stayed on the boat until we were back in Mission Bay.

I've had pretty good luck in my visits to San Diego, 36 dives in 6 visits. I've certainly lost some dives due to conditions. I like Marissa and Waterhorse. I've done wreck alley, kelp beds, Coronados, La Jolla shores and cove. Bottom temps have nearly always been the low 50s, 7 mm, hooded vest, good booties and gloves for me. The Yukon can be spectacular, I've dived it in anywhere from 10 to 60+ feet visibility. Looking forward to getting back

It looks like I'll be in San Diego March 29-30. Right now it looks like I'll use Waterhorse and I plan on diving all 4 Sunday dives. I also plan on hirng a guide for the first dives since this will be my first salt water drysuit dive.

What type of thermals are people using this time of year under their drysuit? I have been diving in 45 degree water, so 60 degree water is a range I haven't experienced. Would a 7mm wetsuit be a better choice?

Is anyone interested in diving La Jolla Cove or anywhere else on the 30th?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi
I am in San Diego until 5th January.
What diving / snorkelling is available?
What (big) marine wildlife could I see this time of year?
I am PADI Advanced & EAN qualified with 500 dives.
I look forward to hearing back soon.
Many thanks Alison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom