San Pedro man convicted of poaching near Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
San Pedro man convicted of poaching near Catalina Island - The Daily Breeze
A San Pedro man was convicted on two counts of poaching an endangered pink abalone and an undersized lobster while diving near Black Rock on Catalina Island, the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office said Thursday.
San Guk Han, 43, was sentenced to three years probation and ordered to pay $2,500 to the Department of Fish and Game Abalone Restoration Fund, along with another $2,500 to the Fish and Game Preservation Fund, said Frank Mateljan, a spokesman for the City Attorney's Office.
Han also had to agree not to harvest fish, squid or other sea animals for commercial or recreational purposes without a valid permit or license, Mateljan said.
The skipper of a dive boat called the Department of Fish and Game on Oct. 29, 2011, to report that one of his passengers was poaching.
Authorities interviewed Han at the 22nd Street Landing in San Pedro, where he confessed that the pink abalone and undersized lobster found inside an ice chest belonged to him, Mateljan said.
The pink abalone taken by Han has been restricted since 1996 and is part of a declining population species of fish.
Han previously was convicted in 2009 for illegally taking abalone in Mendocino County, Mateljan said.

I have to wonder if he is a member of a certain dive club that has been banned by most of the SoCal dive boats due to their persistent poaching. When I worked at 22nd Street Landing I saw so many receive tickets from DFG as soon as they got off the boats. Many carried mesh bags full of sea cucumbers, with abalone hidden within. One guy walked off a boat swinging his aluminum 80 like a cane. When suspicious wardens removed the boot from the tank several lobsters fell out. The bottom of the tank had been sawed off.

This guy must have been rather obstinate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the captain of the dive boat warned Han (paying customer?) not to poach in advance and/or asked him to return the abalone and lobster but Han refused in a very confrontational way. :shakehead:

That's just pathetic. They have no respect for the ecology and no respect for the laws. Five thousand bucks is too cheap of a fine.

Don't they usually seize your gear on the spot?

Should be reasonably easy to figure out who the captain was. Who leaves out of 22nd st. pier other than Pacific Star (there's at least one other)? We could look up the schedules and see who was in Catalina that day (assuming you can look backwards, I guess)...

Han also had to agree not to harvest fish, squid or other sea animals for commercial or recreational purposes without a valid permit or license, Mateljan said.

What BS, he should get his fishing license taken away for a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom