Sand Fleas and Utila or Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB125

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into takig a trip to Utila or Roatan next year (Preferably May, 2010). I'm concerned with the rumors of sand fleas. Is there something to worry about or are the rumors true?

I'm looking into takig a trip to Utila or Roatan next year (Preferably May, 2010). I'm concerned with the rumors of sand fleas. Is there something to worry about or are the rumors true?

Yes... there are sand fleas in the tropics. No, there is nothing to worry about.

There are also dozens of posts here on SB regarding the issue in the past year, what to use, what works for some people, what doesn't... just start scrolling through the pages and you will find all the info you need.

I have never seen a sand flea on Roatan or Utila although they are most likely there. I used to be amused by these small crustaceans in the northeast as they scuttled into the sand after a wave. Of course they did not bite and had no claws but some are bothered by them nonetheless and if they are really thick they can cause cuts on the feet. I would have to say rumors of sand flea problems are truly rumors.
Now Sand Flies, Thats a different story, They are tiny and they bite, no rumor at all. Some people are affected worse than others but most seem fine using a repellant.

0710aa.jpg
SAND FLEA

fly.jpg
Sand Fly

They ate me alive when I first moved to Roatan but I was living on the beach next to the mangroves. Eventually they left me alone and went for fresh meat every time the planes landed. I would protect myself with a repellant just to avoid the aggrevation. If you do happen to get chewed on, I got relief from applying vinegar.

My recent experiences with both.

On Roatan's West End, the bigger issue for us was the mosquitos. As long as I Deet'd myself nightly, it was fine, once I forgot and my legs suffered for it - they were under the tablecloth in an outdoor restaurant.

I spent some time on Half Moon Bay beach - not necessarily one that has a Sand Flea problem as I'd heard they're more in West Bay - and didn't get a single bite. But mostly walking not sitting. We also walked on the beach barefoot at "Barefoot Cay" one morning with no problem. We were there in May 2008.

On Utila last March I was pretty torn up by both fleas and flies. We stayed at Deep Blue. One day we went to do their shore dive and I forgot and put my booties on with sand in them. Huge mistake - that night I had so many bites on my feet it looked like a rash. But they disappeared a day or two later.

And I unfortunately later removed my boots on the deck then laid on the bed - that night I was bit up all over again - I sprayed Off all over the sheets to stop that. Except for that one night we never had a problem in the room - near the beginning of the trip we were even leaving the patio door open so it's likely we brought them in with us that day.

A couple days later I was waiting by their boat around 4PM when I realized I hadn't applied Deet. Before I could leave I must've been bit 10-20 times by flies - they were in my gear and everywhere. I doused everything with Off but once we moved offshore they were gone. For reference, the DB dive dock is in still water off a shallow Mangrove lagoon so it's prime breeding ground - you see them swarming as the sun sets.

One of my fellow divers went for a walk one of the first nights we were there. By the end of the week she looked like a bad case of chicken pox - we were kidding her that they'd never let her back in the U.S.

Otoh, there were at least 3-4 days when I know I forgot to apply Off after diving in the morning and I sat out on the deck without incident. But the deck faced the ocean and always had a good breeze. It seemed like the worst time was around sunset. I was there last March/April. Deep Woods Off seemed to work pretty well.

The owners otoh would sit out every afternoon and most evenings and were always bite-free.

Drink gin, it's a natural repellent...

Put on some Cactus Juice and you'll be fine. Cactus Juice

Worked perfectly for us when we were there.

The Bay Islands have the Best Sand Fleas.

We were there last December and a couple women were eaten alive. We're used to large annoying mosquitos up here that you can see, hear, and feel.

Down there they are unseen and unheard. One morning some of the women woke up covered in nasty red bites that were there for days. I spent most of my day on dive boats and underwater, but spent nights in town and walked the beach at sunset every night with the little lady and I was virtually untouched while she ended up covered - COVERED - in bites.

Just pick up some deet.

I was eatten alive until I slathered on the Cactus Juice

Cactus Juice

I'm am in Utila as I post this . . . yep those sand flys are voracious !! Cactus juice didn't work as well for me as the Deep Woods Off . . . but you have to cover yourself in it and really rub it in ! If you miss a spot, the sand fly won't :( Bring some hydrocortisone cream to rub on the bites . . .

It is so beautiful here and the diving is incredible . . . well worth some itchy nights !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom